Does this brooder setup look ok?

E Buschjost

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Near Jefferson City Missouri
It is day 20 of incubation and we woke up to chirping!! We have an early bloomer and couldn’t be more excited and proud!
I had my Mama Heat Pad made and supplies ready because today was “get the brooder ready” day! So with my early little smarty pants I hurriedly (only after RUNNING through the house to tell my husband -while he was shaving lol that we had a new baby!!, then videotaping it through the window and sending it to our two grandsons) quick put together the brooder supplies and plugged in the mhp. I’m keeping them in this little tub until they need more room probably sooner than I had anticipated. It’s a mineral tub I cleaned out but I think I’ll go find something larger today. Anyway does everything else look ok? I tried to incorporated all I’ve read and learned here to make this the best possible for our babes but I’m nervous about doing something wrong.
Anything you can see I need to change or do?
Any advice (or maybe reassurance?) would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• AA85733A-9D57-4D9B-8BB6-6C9745FED4F1.jpeg
    AA85733A-9D57-4D9B-8BB6-6C9745FED4F1.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 36
If you stick your hand under the heat pad, is it giving off heat? You could always lift it up periodically if you couldn't stand not being able to see the hatchlings under it. I can't tell if they can get out of it, I can't judge the sides. But especially temporarily due to the impatient hatchlings, I'd think it's good--non slip bedding, water they can't get into and get cold, food.

The mhp is bent down in the back and is like a cave. Baby can get out of the front. He/she is “headed” into it - and is very quiet. I lift it periodically enough to check on him/her so far looks fine. I think I’ll put the thermometer in the mhp where he/she is to check temp. What temp is ideal? Should I raise the mhp up so he/she can have more room in there?

Ideally even with a MHP you want more than one entrance/exit - right now, with just 1 chick, it's not a big issue. But if you hatch more, it'd be best if they had at least 2 avenues of access, to minimize risk of crushing/trampling underneath there.

I wouldn't bother with the thermometer, unless you have one that specifically reads surface temperatures. If you put your hand on the pad and it's obviously warm (and the chicks are quietly resting under it), it should be "warm enough."

Back
Top Bottom