does this cochin look SQ

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have also been wondering if my LF cochin roo is show quality?

37655_1215091553.jpg

I know you cant see his feet and legs but they are very heavily featherd

Sorry about the thread hijack OP!! I think your white boy is very beautiful!

Enjoying this thread. Actually seeing the SQ next to PQ is good for the learning process. Thank you everyone. The pet Quality chickens are still nice looking, too.

Thanks for the link I have sent out tons of emails a few weeks back and for the most part the replies I am getting is they do not ship eggs.

Quote:
Try posting a wanted ad under the Wanted category. You will want to include what you are looking for, where you are located, and if you would like them shipped to you or if you can pick them up. You may want to consider getting some eggs or chicks if you don't have a lot of money to spend on adult birds.

My white cochins should be laying in spring. I am sending some to Scott (who also has sq white cochins) and then should have some available. have you hatched shipped eggs before?

Golden Feather farm had white bantams I sent a email hoping they can ship some eggs they had a great page and some really nice looking birds.

Quote:
No, he's not. Too little tail, too flat in the back & his colour is poor.

As to the OP, the bird is too narrow. Cochins need to be round, full & fluffy. His tail, as someone else pointed out, is poorly formed.

To anyone interested in breeding quality birds I give the same advice. Learn the breed before you buy. Go to some shows & see what the winning birds look like. Talk to some breeders at the shows. Most will talk about their breed all day & love to help newcomers get started. Buy or borrow a Standard of Perfection & study it. The black & white version is only $12 & it will save the expense of replacing those "SQ' birds you bought from someone who was either dishonest or didn't know any more than you did.
Breeding & showing can be a lot of fun but it can be heartbreaking to go to a show & not place at all or be disqualified. I see alot of people get started in exhibition poultry that soon disappear because they got frustrated & they got frustrated because they didn't do their homework.

Last edited:
Tom Roebuck does have white cochin bantams, actually. I've seen pics of them and they are extremely nice-he doesn't have pics up any more, but they are on his variety list. Try e-mailing him.

Back
Top Bottom