Does this coop have too less space?

Could I make an extension, like a tunnel that leads to some place where they can run around?

It would be pretty easy to do that. Some 2x4 to make a box and appropriate netting/wire. Make an 8x8x8 so you don’t have to do very many cuts. Use a staple gun to affix the net/wire. The door will be the only part that requires much measuring and cuts.

One could also use cattle pads and build an uncovered hoop house. Attach additional wire or netting as needed.

It's awfully small....I think you'll be disappointed(and in trouble) in the long run.
Too little space almost always ends in problems.

Especially if you live in a harsh climate.

Welcome to BYC! @AwesomeChickenGuy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1616967414609.png

That will be fine for 2, as long as they have more room outside in the run. My coop's slightly bigger than that, and it could hold up to 3 comfortably. I do let them have the backyard all day, though. I recommend painting inside and out to prolong the lifespan of the wood, though.

Also, beware of chicken math! I found my two didn't get along, leading to two more coming soon, and then my kid was given an egg. . . My prefab (the biggest I could find) will be getting an overhaul this summer!

Coop space is important but what is more important is how you keep them and the climate you live in.
If you are confident that your hens will only sleep in the coop and lay eggs in it then your coop is adequate. If on the other hand you expect the hens to spend daylight hours in the coop then even the four square feet recommendation is much too little space.
I imagine in California you are unlikely to get much in the way of very cold weather so I can't see a reason why your hens shouldn't be out all day. From there on its up to you to make sure that happens.
I have 9 chickens sleeping in about two square foot per bird and they're fine. But, they are out free ranging from an hour after sunup to dusk every day no matter what the weather.

One issue with the space and yard space is when it rains and snows you don't want to be slogging through the mud. If they have more space or even some cage extensions that can open and shut then you can reduce the amount of mud that comes up. (And you also aren't going to be wanting to be buying wood chips and stuff all the time also.)

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom