Does this Delaware pullet have a split wing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HighSpringsChix, Nov 7, 2010.

1. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I am trying to decide whether or not to use her in my breeding program. Her mother died, and she is the only offspring I have.

[​IMG]

Here's a full side shot.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Doesn't appear to be a split wing but in the other picture she does look a little loose winged. That said if she's the only one you have she's also the best one you have. I've seen worse Delawares.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Bill. She's not bad looking at all and I think she may have been a bit droopy when the pic was taken.

4. HighSpringsChix

HighSpringsChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Thanks for the replies.

Think there is one feather that is loose or damaged on that side. I just re-checked her and the other side is nice and tight, held horizontal to the ground.

I had been thinking of showing her next weekend. I have some other pics of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think her tail feathers are black enough, and she could be rounder, fuller breasted. There are no barred coverts. Her comb and legs are ok. But, then again, no bird is going to be perfect.
    Do you think she is show material?

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:One of the tricks to breeding this female and getting some birds without the split is try and get a unrelated male to breed and that will mostly cover up the fault. Don

6. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    looks like baby feathers to me that will shed out. just looks like immature bird...Ive seen a true split wing there is no feather there and a gap..that just looks like shedding baby feather and adult feather coming in. an angel feather twists that just looks like its about to be replaced..my freind had a del rooster that shed his babys like that ..once his adults were all in he was one nice boy..the judges know trust me..they expect that in juvinals...most people time showing thier birds between 5 and 8 months for cockeral /pullet..they seem to bloom during that time. they never have that young bird bloom again..

and PS..
    I went to several APA shows last year..shes probably the nicest one Ive seen..there was one outstanding female del at one show we went to we just stopp but most were not that nice..and so few of them , very few..there were walls full of of barnvelders and d uccles and only 2 delawares..pretty sad for this wonderful american breed..would like to see more of them at the shows..there were a few at the fair ..the judge wrote TC on the tag meaning something with the tail color..there were some killer dels at the PA farm show but just ttry and get ahold of the breeder..Ive snail maled him, Emailed him and cant get ahold of him .. somebody told me that back during the 40s and 50s you would see 30-40 dels at a show, now your lucky to see one or 2.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by