Does this look like a silkie egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by briana1975, Sep 1, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Just what the title says. I found this egg on the ground this morning outside of the coop. It is a light cream color. The picture I took is of one of the smallest eggs I have either a BO or BR's first egg. There is also a dime in the picture.
    [​IMG]

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, that looks just like my Silkie eggs. Very small, and light tan colored. I hope my broody Silkie starts laying again soon...I love those eggs. [​IMG]

3. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I was hoping so. It was layed outside on the ground. How to get them into a nest box?

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine won't lay in the nest box...she has only laid on the floor in the coop, same spot every day. I kept picking her up and setting her in the nest box, but she just jumped out. I know she can get in the boxes if she wanted to, but she refused. Then she went broody...

5. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I'll agree....looks like a silkie egg to me too! My Cookie has been broody for 3 weeks now so every morning and afternoon I pick her out of her nest box and carry her out to the rest of the chickens. She growls and clucks, pecks at the cats, then goes about foraging for about half an hour before she does the egg song and goes back to her nest. Doesn't lay an egg, but makes it sound good.
    If she wasn't eating, drinking and pooping normally I'd be concerned, but she looks and acts fine, just likes being broody, I guess.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    :idunnoYou could try putting a next box on the ground right where she laid the egg...

7. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:It was outside on the ground. I was thinking maybe putting a fake egg under the nest boxes. They are only 8-10" off the ground in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by