Does this look like an Ameracauna? And a few questions???

They are in a seperate cage inside the run, the cage has a bottom with shredded pine, I realize now that was not the smartest move, the other girls are checking them out....

Can't see her back.. looks like she is molting around her shoulders.... and, she is the same color as my.. "Americauna"... of course, I have since read that most are Easter Eggers and not true Americaunas or Auracanas (sp?)... she's pretty.

They both look young.. could be three months.. others will know more about the breeds -- how they look at what age.

Best of luck.

She's not an Ameraucana. She's a mutt Easter Egger.

Definitely young. The missing feathers could be due to the fact she was picked on.

I would say you are lucky to have a black and White EE On your hands, especially if its a Girl!
smile.png

I Think Definitely EE!
smile.png

OK here's where the problem with Ameraucana and EE.

The hatcheries advertise their mixed breeds as Americana. It's a deceitful way of making people think they are getting purebred birds, when in fact they use AMs and another breed to get the EEs. They usually do though mention Easter Egger somewhere in the ad. This makes the buyers think that because they bought them from a hatchery, that they have the true Ameraucanas. They don't. They also sell them to the feed stores this way, so you'll find EEs there as Americanas. So an EE is really a cross of AM and anything else.

Then the person who buys the Americanas, EEs, raising and sells them the same way. Some find out the difference and are honest and some find out and still pass them off. If you check eBay under Ameraucana, you will see a ton of EEs being sold that are not Ameraucana. Trust me, many have let them know they are wrong, but money is money.

So then an unexpected member shows up and asks about their Ameraucana and the drama starts. LOL

You have a beautiful bird. If she's what you want, then it doesn't matter what you have. She's not less a chicken who will give you eggs. You won't know for sure if you'll get white, pink, green, brown or blue till she lays. Easter Eggs don't all come in one color, so you could get any of those.

To get a pure AM, you need to go through breeders. They are kind of guarded and you won't find a true one through a hatchery or feed store (that is unless a breeder gets rid of birds there), so if you want an AM there are plenty of us here that have them. Either way, I hope you enjoy your cute little bird. I'd like to see what she looks like as she matures. I love her markings.

Quote:
Her feathers do look a bit strange. I was also noticing that she looks hunched down in both pics - is that just a coincindence? Is she acting perky?

Her feathers look funny to me to...The guy only had Marans and Easter Eggers though. She most certainly has many missing feathers, when I bathed her covered in poo self you could see she was missing a ton of feathers underneath, no redness or irritation. I got to the breeders house yesterday, found him on craigslist. The conditions these birds were living in was pathetic. My mind told me to just leave, but I quickly picked 2 birds and left with her and a black copper. I do know better, it was disgusting, so the 2 birds are quarantined. I inspected them for mites, lice and have been watching their poo. Everything seems fine, they are eating and drinking. He also told me they were 3 months, but there is no way....I am thinking maybe 2 months...as far as her being hunched down, I think it was stress from the car ride and bath, she was exhausted. I will take some more pics of them tomorrow and give an update!

They have the look of 10-12 week olds, but of course it's hard to tell their size, so that's just going by comb size general feather appearance. While I hate the idea of supporting someone who takes such poor care of their birds, I'm happy those two escaped to a good home.

Quote:
Her feathers do look a bit strange. I was also noticing that she looks hunched down in both pics - is that just a coincindence? Is she acting perky?

Her feathers look funny to me to...The guy only had Marans and Easter Eggers though. She most certainly has many missing feathers, when I bathed her covered in poo self you could see she was missing a ton of feathers underneath, no redness or irritation. I got to the breeders house yesterday, found him on craigslist. The conditions these birds were living in was pathetic. My mind told me to just leave, but I quickly picked 2 birds and left with her and a black copper. I do know better, it was disgusting, so the 2 birds are quarantined. I inspected them for mites, lice and have been watching their poo. Everything seems fine, they are eating and drinking. He also told me they were 3 months, but there is no way....I am thinking maybe 2 months...as far as her being hunched down, I think it was stress from the car ride and bath, she was exhausted. I will take some more pics of them tomorrow and give an update!

maybe her feathers will get better now that she has a good lean home and food in front of her. who knows what he was feeding them. her feathers should comeback. it looks like she was picked on by the other birds. keep us updated!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom