Does this look like bumblefoot?

JudiEaston

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
Hi;
Does this look like bumblefoot? I noticed a few weeks ago that one of our ducks was stumbling and sitting down a lot. After doing some reading I originally thought maybe she had a niacin deficiency. After looking at her feet and noticing the black spots I now think maybe bumblefoot. It is on the same spot on BOTH of her feet, and I don't really see a scab or sign of injury, but it is black.

We have been soaking once a day in Epson salts, and cleaning with decolorized iodine, and bandaging with antiobiotic ointment. We have been keeping here inside for part of the day for rest, but have been removing the bandages when we put her back outside because she just can't seem to deal with the uneven terrain in the run with them on. She falls, and I am afraid she is going to hurt herself.

Attachments

• 20210425_125735.jpg
    20210425_125735.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210425_125745.jpg
    20210425_125745.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 14
As, @Jack3291 states, it is bumblefoot. By it sounds, you are doing a great job with treatment so far - hopefully, you'll see some improvement soon.

In the wild, ducks mostly spend most of their day in water, so when it comes to keeping ducks on land for numerous hours, we have to be careful what kind of substrate we're having them walk on, or bumblefoot will be likely to occur. Striving for dry, clean, soft bedding will help prevent cases from occurring in the future.

Yep looks like bumblefoot. You can see that on both feet on the middle toe, there are what look like bumps and that is a common sign of bumblefoot.
Okay, I was just concerned with the "heel" area that was really black, but I will start treating the other areas also.

As, @Jack3291 states, it is bumblefoot. By it sounds, you are doing a great job with treatment so far - hopefully, you'll see some improvement soon.

In the wild, ducks mostly spend most of their day in water, so when it comes to keeping ducks on land for numerous hours, we have to be careful what kind of substrate we're having them walk on, or bumblefoot will be likely to occur. Striving for dry, clean, soft bedding will help prevent cases from occurring in the future.
We just moved our ducks and chickens from the mountain of California to Arizona where everyone landscapes with rock. The ground in their run is covered with a kind of bark ground cover. Guess I need to rake all that up.

Do I need to be keeping her out of the run and her feet bandaged all the time? She misses her sister so I have been bringing her inside for several hours, treating her feet and bandaging them, but I have been removing them and letting her go out with the others in the evening. I tried putting her out with them on, but she kept falling, or getting the bandaging stuck on things.

Back
Top Bottom