Does this look like fowl pox?

My bad, sorry, I thought they were carriers for life. Thanks for clearing it up, i;ve learnt something today
smile.png

eggsrcool
smile.png

Quote:
That's one that floats around from time to time, so after i confirmed that they are not carriers, i kind of jump on it.
hide.gif

Thanks for sharing your resources.
frow.gif

Fowl pox is NOT that bad a disease. As long as it remains the dry form. For birds where it infects the mucus membrane (wet form) it can be deadly if it blocks their ability to breath or eat.

Iodine will help dry lesions. The scabs stay contageous for months, so be sure to clean thoroughly.

I prefer to separate the birds who are ill from those who are not, and I prefer to give an prophylactic antibiotic to those who are ill. It does not help them with the fowl pox, but it does prevent them from getting a secondary bacterial infection.

I strongly recommend spraying the coop, yard and areas where mosquitos tend to congregate (dense shrubs, tall grass, etc.) with malathion or a similar product specifically labelled for killing mosquitoes and larvae. Remove/dump any standing water. If you need to leave it (duck or fish pond, etc.) use mosquito dunks to kill the larvae. Mosquito Dunks can be found at nurseries, pet stores that have pond supplies, Home Depot and Lowes. They are safe for mammals and birds and fish.

I also recommend using mosquito repellants around the coops nightly.

If a bird gets pox inside its mouth, swab twice daily with listerine (the original icky tasting kind) and remove as much of every lesion as possible--there will be some bleeding and pain, especially the first time or two, but it will help keep the passages open.

Back
Top Bottom