Does this look like mites?

Zach123

Songster
Mar 10, 2012
Platteville, CO
This the back end my 2 year old Brahma roo, just below his vent. Very red and inflamed, bumpy skin with feathers missing. Would this be caused by mites or is it something else? Any treatment suggestions?

C566DC83-A1DD-4350-8D8C-2EB586F7203D.jpeg
F133A930-CA03-4472-BDCB-CDAF5CA588D5.jpeg

This the back end my 2 year old Brahma roo, just below his vent. Very red and inflamed, bumpy skin with feathers missing. Would this be caused by mites or is it something else? Any treatment suggestions?
Very well could be mites or lice and suggest checking hens vents after dark with a flashlight or head lamp and look for crawlies running away or dried "dirt" clumps at the feather bases.

I would also consider separating him, in view for a short while to give him a chance to recover without actively mating. That looks quite painful but mating drive can be higher.

I suggest using a permethrin spray to treat... found in the equine section at most feed stores or TSC under many name and ready to use or concentrated. This is the one I use..
TE006407

Apply a small spritz to the skin with feathers parted.. just below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the base of the head on the back of the neck. Soaking is not required. It's very effective when used as directed. Treat again, in 7-10 days. Also be sure and treat everyone even if they don't all appear this bad. No egg withdrawal required.

I can't make out any eggs or bugs specifically in you pics, but the angry hamburger looking skin is a pretty good indicator of a parasitic issue. One article that discusses it...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

:fl

Thanks folks. I will separate him and give him and the others a permenthrin treatment. I haven't seen any eggs or bugs on him either, but not much I can find on this particular problem. I did put some aloe gel on him to try and soothe the skin (that's why it looks wet in the second picture).

That could be, MysteryChicken. I am constantly trying to doctor his feet since the hens think the feathers growing out of them are fun to pick at. I love brahmas, but I will never own another feather footed chicken because of this.

I have some Gordons Permenthrin 10 Livestock and Premise spray on hand here at the house. Trying to make sure I'm doing the math right based on label before I mix it and spray my birds with it.

That could be, MysteryChicken. I am constantly trying to doctor his feet since the hens think the feathers growing out of them are fun to pick at. I love brahmas, but I will never own another feather footed chicken because of this.

I have some Gordons Permenthrin 10 Livestock and Premise spray on hand here at the house. Trying to make sure I'm doing the math right based on label before I mix it and spray my birds with it.
I deal with feather picking, but at least not very often. I have Silkies, Brahmas, & D'Uccles.

I’ve had both brahmas and cochins before and never had a problem but this poor guy has turned me off of the feathered feet, too much extra hassle.

Here is the label of permethrin 10. Note that there is a mix for both the chicken and for treating the premises:
https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/LABELS/Permethrin 10_label.pdf

Thanks Eggcessive. I figured out where I was going wrong. I was converting the gallons to ounces and coming up with an ounces/ounce ratio rather than ounces/gallon. Don't ask me why I did that unnecessary conversion, it made sense at the time :confused:.

Back
Top Bottom