Does this look like wry neck to you? (Video attached)

Poor thing! :hugs. When did it hatch? I think if I had one like that I would try giving it a shot of vitamin b complex *and* some vitamin E.

Edited to add:
I've treated a couple of chicks for crazy chick disease with vitamin e, they recovered in two days after receiving oral vitamin E:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/encephalomalacia, and I've treated a couple with wry neck due to a thiamine deficiency with vitamin b injections and those were better in two hours after the injection:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/thiamin-deficiency

I have given Jonayla, vit E, plus vit B every day since the last post, and s/he has improved a fair bit. I also gave antibiotics after reading that an e coli infection can be another cause of these symptoms (and because other eggs in the same nest had gone bad so bacterial infection was a definate possibility)

There is hardly any stargazing now, and Jonayla can walk, run, eat, swim (and dive) with no problem. He/she still has some head wobbles and these seem to get worse when he/she gets excited. I am still giving vit B and E daily, however since the initial improvement which happened probably 1-2 days after the above post, Jonaylas condition has been pretty static.

Has anyone had a duckling/duck who has lived with minor neuro symptoms and if so how did they do?
At the moment, Jonayla is able to do everything any other duckling of a similar age could, ie, as above, walk, run, eat, drink, play etc.
One thing I am noticing, after raising hundreds of ducklings, is that Jonayla seems to be eating quite a bit more than most ducklings are at this age, and he/she is quite food orientated. When excited Jonayla gets really hyper, as well as the head wobbling etc, and it cetainly looks as if it would all burn a lot more calories than normal, so I wonder if thats the reason for the extra food intake.

However despite these things Jonayla is overall a pretty happy, independant healthy (aside from the obvious aforementioned) duckling.
One of my ducks had 15 eggs which started hatchg yesterday, so I was a bit naughty and stole one of her eggs that had pipped, hatched it in the incubator, and it is now Jonaylas brand new brother or sister.

Oh what cracks me up, is that Jonayla seems to be imitating his/her ducky peers. Until tonight, when newly hatched sibling Erin was introduced, I would always see Jonayla sleeping in quite adult positions, ie sitting, or sitting with the head turned as close to 180 as Jonayla could get... Same as how (grown up companion) Mills relaxes or sleeps
Tonight, after sitting down beside Erin, Jonayla started just kinda sprawling out in the 'dead to the world cos I just hatched' duckling position....

Oh what cracks me up, is that Jonayla seems to be imitating his/her ducky peers. Until tonight, when newly hatched sibling Erin was introduced, I would always see Jonayla sleeping in quite adult positions, ie sitting, or sitting with the head turned as close to 180 as Jonayla could get... Same as how (grown up companion) Mills relaxes or sleeps
Tonight, after sitting down beside Erin, Jonayla started just kinda sprawling out in the 'dead to the world cos I just hatched' duckling position....

Back
Top Bottom