Does this look more like Marek’s or a vitamin deficiency?

Some are affected, some never will be. It's really just up to each individual bird on how they're affected. If they were vaccinated, they could carry it and never show a symptom. Or they could show symptoms but never get bad.

I wouldn't cull an entire flock unless you have proof on paper that they are positive for it. Even then, I personally would only cull when necessary. Just make sure that you keep a closed flock. No birds leave.
Thanks you a lot 😍 i read somwhere that one that survive Will ne imune to that desise and also can carry that imunity throw gens to their offsprings 💪

Of course I could be wrong for the second time in my life. :D
What?! There was a first?

@It_is_I_Rae : there’s various strains of Mareks that affect each flock and chicken a little different. The most unfortunate fact is that in nearly every situation, Mareks is watch and wait. You may, or may not, lose another chicken quickly. You may, or may not, lose your whole flock. You may, or may not lost only a couple of birds.

if you have Mareks or suspect it the number one thing you can do is keep your birds healthy and clean and stress free, and cross your fingers you do not have a virulent strain. Many people can and do keep Mareks-positive flocks with success. Many, many very esteemed poultry vets believe it is SO ubiquitous that it exists in some form in nearly every backyard flock.

this is not to mean that there are not times where Mareks is devastating. It’s just to mean there are times where it is manageable.

@Josip, the cull a whole flock advice is really reserved for either the most virulent strains (but still not always) and commercial flocks and major breeders.

What?! There was a first?

@It_is_I_Rae : there’s various strains of Mareks that affect each flock and chicken a little different. The most unfortunate fact is that in nearly every situation, Mareks is watch and wait. You may, or may not, lose another chicken quickly. You may, or may not, lose your whole flock. You may, or may not lost only a couple of birds.

if you have Mareks or suspect it the number one thing you can do is keep your birds healthy and clean and stress free, and cross your fingers you do not have a virulent strain. Many people can and do keep Mareks-positive flocks with success. Many, many very esteemed poultry vets believe it is SO ubiquitous that it exists in some form in nearly every backyard flock.

this is not to mean that there are not times where Mareks is devastating. It’s just to mean there are times where it is manageable.

@Josip, the cull a whole flock advice is really reserved for either the most virulent strains (but still not always) and commercial flocks and major breeders.
Thank you, that's good to know. I really hope the rest of the flock will remain unaffected

here she is outside. She does really well outside, she almost looks normal. It hurts to know that she probably will never fully recover if she survives this

Do any of you happen to know if chickens can suffer from epilepsy? There's not much about it on the internet and I'm wondering if it's a thing?

I have witnessed state vet confirmed Marek's cases do this, but flip completely over backwards. I do believe that's what this is. I'm so sorry.
Hey, it's been been two weeks tomorrow since the seizures started and she's doing the same-ish. She has an appetite but not for normal chicken food. The only thing she'll readily eat is bread and sometimes cat food. (She's been like this the whole time since the seizures started). She still drinks water on her own although I have to gently push head forward (it stops the seizures somehow) after every sip otherwise she'll have constant seizures. She won't bite into bread anymore though, I have to break it into bite sized pieces (she appears to have cracked her beak, maybe that's why?)
Does this still sound like Marek’s or would she have died already or gone downhill rapidly? She was limping before but she isn't anymore. She has a vet appointment on Monday, I'm going to see if they can do anything to help her. Also she acts totally fine between these episodes.

Hey, it's been been two weeks tomorrow since the seizures started and she's doing the same-ish. She has an appetite but not for normal chicken food. The only thing she'll readily eat is bread and sometimes cat food. (She's been like this the whole time since the seizures started). She still drinks water on her own although I have to gently push head forward (it stops the seizures somehow) after every sip otherwise she'll have constant seizures. She won't bite into bread anymore though, I have to break it into bite sized pieces (she appears to have cracked her beak, maybe that's why?)
Does this still sound like Marek’s or would she have died already or gone downhill rapidly? She was limping before but she isn't anymore. She has a vet appointment on Monday, I'm going to see if they can do anything to help her. Also she acts totally fine between these episodes.
The pullet I had that I spoke of there was having seizures about every 90 seconds. She was still eating and drinking on her own. I put her down when the seizures started. Hers were BAD.

I don't feel comfortable saying that it is or isn't. Marek's doesn't have a uniform signature. No two cases are ever exactly the same. One of my pullets would have issues with her legs (lameness) for a couple weeks, then snap out of it and be fine for a month or so. One died within a couple days. One a few weeks. Two I put down.

I think the vet is a good idea. I also think that if you're going to continue special care, you need to invest in a food scale to weigh her. If she's not eating well, she could be too thin to bring back before you know it.

My chicken has been doing this for the past 3 days.
I doubt this is how Marek's would present in a FIVE year old chicken..

What is her USUAL feed, including treats and supplements.. WHY would she be facing a nutrient deficit? Has her droppings ever been tested for internal parasites?

HOW is she getting any nutrients while seizing?? An electrolyte imbalance/DEHYDRATION COULD cause that..Organs shutting down due to age, genetics, etc..

Ugh.. I'm sorry you face this! :(

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom