Does this look more like Marek’s or a vitamin deficiency?

Another update: I successfully gave her a partial bath because her butt feathers were really crusty and she smelled awful. I thought she was going to freak out but i think she found it kind of relaxing

Another update: I successfully gave her a partial bath because her butt feathers were really crusty and she smelled awful. I thought she was going to freak out but i think she found it kind of relaxing
I also let her outside with the flock for awhile.

Sounds like a bit of improvement. It's better than things going the other way.

Have you tried giving her electrolytes with sugar? I'm sorry if I missed that bit of information.

I watched the video again, and it still appears to me to be torticolis caused by vitamin deficiency.
Is limping common with vitamin deficiencies? It was hard to tell earlier since she was indoors in a small room but when I let her outside she had a visible limp and kind of dragged her foot around as she walked. She was happy to be outside though.

Yes, deficiency of some B-vitamins can be responsible for leg weakness and limping.
She doesn't appear to be doing too well today. She's constantly having seizures. I guess it's more likely to be Marek's :(
She's also not interested in eating anything but bread and I have to force feed her vitamins now because she won't eat them herself anymore. She was doing so good yesterday. I guess I got my hopes up too much

So if its marek's you must kill all other hens or some can live with it and get healthy, or you must get rid of all if one have marek's? Just asking because I suspect that one of my pullet died of marek's.

I have witnessed state vet confirmed Marek's cases do this, but flip completely over backwards. I do believe that's what this is. I'm so sorry.

So if its marek's you must kill all other hens or some can live with it and get healthy, or you must get rid of all if one have marek's? Just asking because I suspect that one of my pullet died of marek's.

Some are affected, some never will be. It's really just up to each individual bird on how they're affected. If they were vaccinated, they could carry it and never show a symptom. Or they could show symptoms but never get bad.

I wouldn't cull an entire flock unless you have proof on paper that they are positive for it. Even then, I personally would only cull when necessary. Just make sure that you keep a closed flock. No birds leave.

Back
Top Bottom