Does this look more like Marek’s or a vitamin deficiency?

This is what a vet wrote:
"Prophylactic Deworming
I have been saying this for years (because I have been seeing this for years!) and here it is: Many young and adult birds can be harboring ascarids (especially if they were parent-raised for any length of time) and you can run fecals all day, and guess what? The fecals will almost always be negative. A paper out of the Univ. of Georgia a few years back confirmed this. Many a time I have been a hero when I have dewormed a bird during a second or third opinion, when it passes a pile of ascarids and shocks the owner after being repeatedly told by other vets that "the fecal was negative." Well, deworm it anyway, with something safe. I routinely use pyrantel pamoate, since you can't hurt a bird with it, unless you aspirate it!"

Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/challenges.html

I don't THINK seizures are associated with pain usually but I'm not familiar with different types of seizures. The FEW I have seen in other animals.. muscles were engaged and stiff.. I don't think charlie horse status.. but if it last too long may be in danger of over heating essentially. Or the brain got stuck on repeat like a hiccup.

You've got the vet in your corner already, that's fantastic!

Please make a list of questions you have and symptoms plus what you've done, as it will be hard to remember when you get in there. Take notes on the answer if needed!

Consider NOW, if the vet says prognosis is poor or recommends euthanasia.. will you allow it be done at that time, schedule for a future date after you've said farewell?

Hope she pulls through and SHOWS us, Ol' lady, still got game! :fl
That's a good idea, I'll do that. If she does need to be euthanized I would probably schedule it for a later date so I can say goodbye

This is what a vet wrote:
"Prophylactic Deworming
I have been saying this for years (because I have been seeing this for years!) and here it is: Many young and adult birds can be harboring ascarids (especially if they were parent-raised for any length of time) and you can run fecals all day, and guess what? The fecals will almost always be negative. A paper out of the Univ. of Georgia a few years back confirmed this. Many a time I have been a hero when I have dewormed a bird during a second or third opinion, when it passes a pile of ascarids and shocks the owner after being repeatedly told by other vets that "the fecal was negative." Well, deworm it anyway, with something safe. I routinely use pyrantel pamoate, since you can't hurt a bird with it, unless you aspirate it!"

Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/challenges.html
Good to know. Thank you!

Update: took her to the vet today and he thinks it's a thiamine deficiency so he gave her a thiamine injection. I forgot to ask to test for parasites. Should I attempt to deworm her just in case or should I call the vet back about that?

Back
Top Bottom