Does this mean I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    I have 9 chickens. Three full blooded RIRs and six TSC RIRs. :) They are all over 21/22 weeks old and I've had them since week 1. I've been watching and honestly have not seen any roo type of behavior and haven't seen anyone develope spurs. It's a very calm little chicken run out there and everyone gets along. But now I'm getting eggs - have been getting them about 2/3 weeks - and a few times I've had that little red "spot" in my eggs. Can unfertilized eggs have those? Or do I just have a sneeky roo among the ladies?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Those little red spots don't indicate fertilization. I think they're called meat spots or blood spots and they're perfectly harmless. I think something just "sluffs off" in the reproduction system and ends up in the egg.....That will probably stop as they continue laying.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The eggs with the meat spot all most likely being laid by the same hen each time.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicmom is right on the money. If you are not hearing crowing, you probably don't have a rooster. Fertile eggs look only slightly different from non-fertile in that they have a slightly enlarged blastocyst.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I think you'd probably hear some sort of a crow going on by now if you had a rooster... Like everybody else stated, that's a blood spot - nothing to worry about, but does not indicate fertilization either [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree, but just wanted to add - spurs generally do not develop early. My adult roo didn't have respectable spurs until he was almost a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by