1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this mean she's going to lay soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blueicebird, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    I caught Blondie laying down in the next box when I came home in the afternoon. Do they generally start playing with the boxes before they start to lay? Or do they use them for sleeping too?

[​IMG]

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Mine both lay and sleep in their boxes. It is usually when the chicken squats for you that she is about to start laying [​IMG]

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Not sure but I would think it is a good sign, she is showing interest in the nest boxes [​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    If she is lifting the hay and tossing it behind her, she's nesting and I would say she about to lay an egg for you! [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. They like to "play house" a bit before they start to lay. I'm sure there is a scientific reason behind it, but I think it is really just to screw with our heads. [​IMG]

6. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    I caught my Rhode Island Rock laying in a little dirt pit with hay and random bits, not dust bathing but just laying there. I wonder... Hmm. Getting exciting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by