Does this mean something? UPDATE Pg. 3

Your muscovy hens will most likely go broody at some point, but it doesn't sound like they're quite ready yet. What I would do, if you want them to brood, is to mark the eggs with dates. Leave them in the nest until they reach a reasonable number (6 or 8 perhaps). Then each day, remove the oldest eggs from the nest so it always has the freshest eggs in it. When your hen goes broody, you will KNOW. She will sit tight and get mean as a hornet when you come near.

Good luck--sending happy duckling vibes your way.
smile.png

Thanks! I think there is about 8-10 eggs in there about 7 in one clutch and then another in a smaller nest and then another in yet another small nest..i dont know how long the eggs have been there but ill mark the ones that i know are the freshest. Shoul i just remove ALL the eggs and just let them start from scratch?

Either way should be fine--if they start brooding in the next few days, it won't matter much. I would just mark what you've got with today's date, and make sure to remove them first. Or, if you know some are fresher, mark some with yesterday's date and some with today's, so you know which to remove first. Good luck!

When they arent broody yet do they pay attention to the eggs at all? because min move them around and stuff, but when i go in there they dont really seem conerned they just come up to me because they think i have treats. Also they make little miny nestes and lay eggs in there does that mean anything?

It means they're starting to feel the call of nature, but they're not there yet. When I compare it to playing with dolls, remember that ducks mature much more quickly than people. Right now, they're like adolescent girls playing "Mommy." It's hormones, instinct, play. But it means they're getting ready. And when they are ready, they will get serious about it. And that will happen much more quickly than it does with human children.
wink.png

When they are broody, they will defend the eggs, and will not get up off of them. Your favorite friendly duck may hiss and even bite if you try to move the eggs. Once they start doing that, you should start leaving the eggs alone (except, remove new eggs each day, if the other girls are laying in the nest still--otherwise you'll have a staggered hatch and the later ones will not reach maturity). Most people recommend separating a broody hen so the others don't lay in her nest, but I have no personal experience with this (I've always hatched in incubators).

Have fun.
smile.png

P.S. To further draw out the analogy, a human child may play with her doll and pamper it, and make clothes or beds for it, but when she gets bored, she may toss it aside and forget it for a while. Ducks, same thing. When a human mother is ready to get serious--stand out of the way, because NOTHING is getting between her and that baby.

Well they arent even in there when i come home they dont seem to ever go into where the eggs are. SHould i start from scratch and let them lay and then see if that makes them broody?

Sometimes having eggs sitting in a pile in the nest can encourage broodiness, so that's why I suggested leaving the eggs there. But take what I say with a grain of salt because it's based on reading, not experience, given that I've always hatched in the house. However, I have had ducks go broody (just not hatch successfully), so I do recognize the difference between play and real broodiness. It kind of depends on what you want--if you're planning to eat the eggs and don't mind waiting for them to get ready to brood, then by all means collect the eggs and wait. If you don't care about eating the eggs and you're eager for brooding and don't mind a little extra work, then I'd leave a good number in the nest every day (following the method described) and see what happens.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, though, and give more guidance. This is just what I would do based on my experience and reading.

Back
Top Bottom