Does this mean something? UPDATE Pg. 3

How old are your hens? If they are only a year or two then they might not yet be getting the message... If They are 8 years or older they might just be too old... You'll know when they go broody when they don't get off their nest even late in the day and start to have a little "spazz attack" when you go near them. If they don't go broody and you really want ducklings then I suggest an incubator? The cheap styrofoam ones I mean.

Well the two girl muscovies that were still in the pen have been pacing along the side for about 3 days and finally today i was like "Ok so whats the problem" and let them out and Bubbles the smallest runs straight for the shed and crwals under and then she starts moving something that i couoldnt see but it seemed like an egg and then she was just sitting there moving posotion a little bit. SO i thought she was laying on eggs, so i got some hay and put it in front so that she could use it. Got back from shool..shes not on the nest, but it looks like some hay is gone and she move a BUNCH of dirt around under the shed..so do you think she is in the beggining of going broody?

hmmm dont know.. well i have a question too.......my female cayuga has mad a nest in our hay and has 7 eggs and she lays 1 every day in thge nest not like usual when she just lays them anywhere do u think she might GO broody? how many eggs until settin time also?

I would say she is deffinitely considering it, she may or may not, but she is on the right track...
wink.png

With a scovy you will know for sure she's ready to lay when she starts pulling out down feathers for the nest. Even my drake will pull feathers for her to line the nest when she's ready. He's such a gentleman. Once they set, the only way I can get them off the nest is with a long stick I use to shew them. I do my thing then they go right back to their eggs. DH tried to get eggs out of a nest once without the stick and she beat him up pretty good:smack, so I wouldn't recommend that method.

Well since i have gotten home she isnt on the nest and hasnt been on it..i moved the eggs from the nestbox that they were playing around with into her bowl in the dirt under the shed cuz it dosent seem like there is any eggs..but i could be wrong and she isnt on it..she is sleeping drinking and eating and not going to the eggs at all. WHats up with that? in the morning she went staright to them and now this?

Patience, grasshopper!
big_smile.png
They're messing around, which means they're prepping. But it may still be weeks before they decide to really hunker down and do it. Just keep an eye on them, but find something to distract yourself with in the meantime, because they are going to take their own sweet time about it, and there's no rushing Mother Nature.
big_smile.png

Quote:
SO true! I need to find something and just stop bothering them..I just see all the stories of people having broody ducks and it goes by so fast on BYC but takes so long in real life!

Back
Top Bottom