Does this membrane look dry?

Nadinthecountry

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2019
Northern Ireland
On day 22 of a hatch in a still air brinsea incubator. 2 eggs have hatched but the one that looked to pip first isn't progressing - a small strip of the membrane looks dry but the rest looks fine - does this chick need help? Hard to see as viewing window is not v clear.
20200531_183254.jpg
20200531_184045.jpg

Maybe a little bit, but I wouldn't worry about it. What's your humidity at?
Thank you. We are in the UK and using a still air incubator so havent been too worried about humidity as all the resources I can fine say the ambient humidity is about right. We do have one of the rings filled with water. I will but a humidity measure the next time we hatch though!

Thank you. We are in the UK and using a still air incubator so havent been too worried about humidity as all the resources I can fine say the ambient humidity is about right. We do have one of the rings filled with water. I will but a humidity measure the next time we hatch though!
Oh, you're not using at least one hydrometer? Can you get one somewhere? All of your babies could get shrink-wrapped if you don't make sure it's high enough. How do you know the humidity is right?

Oh, you're not using at least one hydrometer? Can you get one somewhere? All of your babies could get shrink-wrapped if you don't make sure it's high enough. How do you know the humidity is right?
I dont - this is the second time hatching, but everything I read says UK and still air bator means the humidity will be fine is this not true! 😕 we have 2 chicks hatched and 2 more about to come just this one struggling.

It looks ok to me around the pip. Is the chick still chirping? I would if you could get more surface area of water to increase your humidity level if you don’t have a hygrometer. I like at least 65% for hatching and given the dry weather we are having in the UK at the moment it is going to be lower than that. My ambient at the moment (in the open top tortoise table) is only just above 40%.
603F25B6-6026-42E9-ABBC-FC37B789F7A7.jpeg

Good article read here on the hatching process & when to possibly assist ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I dont - this is the second time hatching, but everything I read says UK and still air bator means the humidity will be fine is this not true! 😕 we have 2 chicks hatched and 2 more about to come just this one struggling.
Yeah, I would try to get it higher. I think it's too low. I keep my humidity around 70% but I'm in the US.

It looks ok to me around the pip. Is the chick still chirping? I would if you could get more surface area of water to increase your humidity level if you don’t have a hygrometer. I like at least 65% for hatching and given the dry weather we are having in the UK at the moment it is going to be lower than that. My ambient at the moment (in the open top tortoise table) is only just above 40%.
View attachment 2170268

Good article read here on the hatching process & when to possibly assist ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Great ok thanks. Is it ok to open and top up the water with the 2 chicks hatched in there?

Quickly & carefully you should be fine. I remove chicks if it’s looking full in the incubator and leave newly hatched & hatching ones in without a problem.
Can you possibly add any without opening? Any openings or vent holes you could put a tube through with a syringe of water?

Back
Top Bottom