does this need help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MegB, Jul 24, 2013.

1. MegB

MegB In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    My chicken hatching day was Sunday but i noticed a few started pipping Monday so left well alone, i have one successfully out but another is only partially cleared an area in 24hours, i have dampened the egg as concerned that the membrane was going to dry out. I have tried to attach pic. Do i help or leave well alone.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If it's been 24 hours already the chick may need help. What I'd do at this stage is "zip" the shell round the egg, as a chick would naturally. Use a pair of tweezers and leave the inner membrane covering the chick intact. Dampen this membrane as you go along and check for active blood vessels and if you see any, stop zipping and replace the egg in the incubator for at least another 2 hours. Make sure the humidity stays at 65%+ to prevent the inner membrane from drying out. If the membrane is clear and the vessels have receded, check the area around the chick's belly for any signs of yolk or vessels before letting it complete the hatch.

3. MegB

MegB In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    Thankyou for that helpful advise, but it has now hatched and looking strong, i have two others now pipping as well, they are two days late as such, should that be a concern?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: