Does this raccoon have distemper?

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
My tenant sent me a video of a raccoon a few nights ago in the yard. I have a 4 year old who loves playing right where the raccoon was. Do you think its distemper, or rabies?

Last edited:
Ugh, this makes me so nervous. What can I do? I called animal control and they told me they don't deal with wildlife... 😣
Yeah in my town the animal control person said they only get involved if the sick animal is on a public street. They advise to hire a private trapper.

Neurological raccoons can have rabies, canine distemper, or something else, and ONLY LAB TESTING can tell the difference!
Best to trap it and get it tested if there's any chance that a pet or human had any contact with it. If you shoot it, NOT in the head, which is needed for rabies testing. Then wrap it in plastic and chill, don't freeze the body.
Call your DNR, who may want to test it, and public health, and up the chain at your animal control folks. We've run into this in SE Michigan, where idiots at public health and AC don't know what should be done.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom