Does this raccoon have distemper?

This one acts alot like the one that came in my house thru a doggie door while I was at the top of my yard waiting for my kids bus. My dog heard it attack my cat (sadly she didn't make it) and he started in the house from where I was and I could hear the fight. While waiting for animal control I watched it (my kids safely locked in my bedroom during that time) and the sheriff waiting with me said it's behavior was definitely rabies. It wasn't aggressive at all when I walked about 2 ft in front of it before noticing it in my laundry room. But no chance I was getting close. I got a call 2 days later she (the coon) was rabid and animal control came that day for my dog and he had to be quarantined for 4 months.

Needless to say I moved bc my rent lady wouldn't let me do away with the doggy door. My dog came home in March and is happy and perfectly healthy. Now any time we see coon or possums or any of the sort we make sure they won't come back. I love all animals but losing a petand paying $5k for another pet bc of one is definitely a hit that I don't wanna take again.
Wow! I'm sorry you lost your cat, but glad everyone else is ok. Why did they quarantine your dog, was he not vaccinated?

Wow! I'm sorry you lost your cat, but glad everyone else is ok. Why did they quarantine your dog, was he not vaccinated?
We moved from Ohio where it's not mandatory to north Carolina where it's required by law. We didn't know that when we moved. And really didn't know the area we moved to was very well known for rabid wildlife. So it was kind of like an ignorance thing. The area we lived in in Ohio had the lowest rabies rate in Ohio and we had a huge fenced in yard. And I mean it was like a barracks. Nothing could get in or out of there! So we never had to even be worried about rabies!

We moved from Ohio where it's not mandatory to north Carolina where it's required by law. We didn't know that when we moved. And really didn't know the area we moved to was very well known for rabid wildlife. So it was kind of like an ignorance thing. The area we lived in in Ohio had the lowest rabies rate in Ohio and we had a huge fenced in yard. And I mean it was like a barracks. Nothing could get in or out of there! So we never had to even be worried about rabies!
Wow, so your dog didn't catch it, despite not being vaccinated! I want your dogs immune system.

I didn’t even know it wasn’t required in some places. We’ve just always had our dogs and cats vaccinated???? Even if you think they can’t catch it, it’s just not worth the risk to me. They never went on walks or hikes or anything?

Wow, so your dog didn't catch it, despite not being vaccinated! I want your dogs immune system.
No he didn't get it. I was confident he wouldn't but I knew at the same time it was a long shot. But something told me he would be okay. And every time the animal control officers went to check on him they said he was happy and healthy every time. The worst part was they came to get him it was his 3rd birthday! It was definitely hard going thru that 4 months without him.

I didn’t even know it wasn’t required in some places. We’ve just always had our dogs and cats vaccinated???? Even if you think they can’t catch it, it’s just not worth the risk to me. They never went on walks or hikes or anything?
Yes we took him on walks and hikes and we take him to the local riverbed to swim. He stays on our heels and goes where we go. My dog doesn't attack or go after things unless it's a threat to us. He is vaccinated now.

Yes we took him on walks and hikes and we take him to the local riverbed to swim. He stays on our heels and goes where we go. My dog doesn't attack or go after things unless it's a threat to us. He is vaccinated now.
I personally would have been nervous taking him out like that without being vaccinated. Even if he doesn’t attack, something could have attacked him. But that’s good he’s vaccinated now.

Back
Top Bottom