1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Does this really work?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThePigeonKid, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The link isn't working.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have them, and it is my opinion they work very well. I don't care what other folks say about "any blinking red light will do, put up Xmas lights, raccoons are color blind, yadda yadda yadda."

B.C. (Before Chickens) I had a nightly predation problem in my koi/goldfish ponds. The ponds aren't all that much, nor were the few koi, but I built the 2 ponds myself, raised the fish from little bitty feeder fish (koi in the goldfish tank) and was really upset when a raccoon decimated the population and tore up the pond plants. Nightly. I put chicken wire over the ponds, looked like crap. Finally just left the mosquito fish in there, and added a couple cheap goldfish every now and then. But the nice big fish I'd grown were taken.

Then I got into chickens. Saw the NiteGuard units, thought, hmmmm, why not try 'em?

Suddenly the raccoon evidence was gone. No pond plants torn up looking for fish. I mean, totally. And I have "regrown" some very large and tasty looking goldfish in the ponds.

And since I have had chickens only since October 2009, I have not lost any to night-time predation. (My few losses have been to misadventure, mostly.)

I have also seen newer units by another company, which sells units with TWO red blinking lights, more like eyes. Don't know if it would matter, but they were a tad cheaper and I am expanding my run, so I will buy some of those to supplement my NiteGuard coverage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: