Poultry Protector

Permethrin is just the synthetic version of pyrethrin, a naturally occurring compound from marigolds.

Buy permethrin concentrate. Buy a garden sprayer, mix the concentrate to the amount indicated for treating livestock and buildings. Clean the coop really well. Everywhere, including nooks and crannies. Excluded birds and spray everything including roosts (top and bottom).

Next, with a helper if available, spray the birds, focusing on the vents, legs, under wings, between legs. Put into coop as they are sprayed. Repeat entire process in about 7 days.

Try to exclude wild birds bc wild birds bring in pests and disease such as mites, lice, avian influenza. So if wild birds are nesting in the chicken area or sharing the chicken pellets, you should try to exclude them from the coop and feed areas at a minimum. Even if you free range, keeping the coop and feed areas free of wild birds will help.

I was wondering if anyone had experience using poultry protector mite spray. It says the main ingredient is citric acid and I was looking for something more natural but I didn't know if this would really work.
I’ve never had a mite problem, so can’t help there. I’m just curious whyyou consider citric acid not natural? It’s naturally present in oranges, lemons, limes, and many others.

I’ve never had a mite problem, so can’t help there. I’m just curious why you consider citric acid not natural? It’s naturally present in oranges, lemons, limes, and many others.
I meant that citric acid is the more natural solution I am looking for but I wanted to know if it worked before buying it. I have treatments but they are all chemicals.

Will I still be able to eat the eggs after I use it and will it render them sterile?

I want to mention that for some of us, citronella is a scent that is very irritating to our lungs. Wonder if chickens would have the same problem?
Straight permethrin spray isn't as strong a scent.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom