Does this seem a little high for a chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Oct 11, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    A lady around here wants 7 dollars or more for 1 pullet that is a mutt. i am thinking about buying a few from her but my dad says that the most he will spend for a chicken is 5 dollars...
    Thanks
    ~Bri

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    If she is the only one around then i guess $7 is good. Its better than buying a three dollar one and paying $50 Dollars on shipping or Doing a roadtrip. Looka round though! :)

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:There are more around here but she is the closest and has a more wide variety.. (the longest one from here is like 30 minutes away so it isnt that bad)
    But do you think 7 dollars is a bit much? and she wants 7 dollars for a male guinea too..

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That doesn't sound unreasonable to me....even for a mutt. Often they are the best layers.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:I agree with you. Fortunately I getting mine for free [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Depends on the age. Around here, a layer or soon to be layer will run $10-15, even a mutt.

Matt

7. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    ok thanks everyone [​IMG]
    I dont do much selling and buying of chickens.. i always give mine away that i can no longer keep to someone who cares and actually wants the bird and will take good care of them.

8. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I agree, that's a fair price if it's close to laying age.

9. 7 bucks for a Guinea is about going price if it is ready to go for free range.

Males and Females sell for about the same price. The auctions around here are getting 8 to 12 bucks for adult Guineas.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I charge $10 for each point-of-lay pullet I sell, sometimes more if it's a rare breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by