Does this set up look ok?

ya 2 weeks is it then the fir n skin flys all over when the feathers are coming

they go back and forth between the heater and running around. I turned our house temp up to 70 as that bathroom gets warmer than anywhere else and closed the shower curtain to better keep the heat in.

No need to try and increase air temperature by raising house heat or closing the shower curtain - the chicks running between the heater and the rest of the space is exactly what you want to see.

No need to try and increase air temperature by raising house heat or closing the shower curtain - the chicks running between the heater and the rest of the space is exactly what you want to see.

even if the thermometer only says 80? I’ve been checking on them very often (hard to get anything done when all I want to do is watch them and snuggle them). They are still running around. The sweet chirps are making our kitties jumpy lol (door is shut and locked).

even if the thermometer only says 80? I’ve been checking on them very often (hard to get anything done when all I want to do is watch them and snuggle them). They are still running around. The sweet chirps are making our kitties jumpy lol (door is shut and locked).

The chicks are pressing against that heater (not completely convinced that a vertical one is the best choice, but as long as it gets hot and the chicks can use it, guess it works) to get their needed heat, so the air temperature isn't what's keeping them warm, it's the surface of the plate that's doing it.

They actually need relief from the heat which is why it's ideal to see them warm up by their heat source, then run off when they're warm enough.

The chicks are pressing against that heater (not completely convinced that a vertical one is the best choice, but as long as it gets hot and the chicks can use it, guess it works) to get their needed heat, so the air temperature isn't what's keeping them warm, it's the surface of the plate that's doing it.

They actually need relief from the heat which is why it's ideal to see them warm up by their heat source, then run off when they're warm enough.

yeah I wish it had the option for being horizontal. Might have to have hubby see if he can McGuyver it. Every time I go in the go back and forth between cuddling at the heater and zooming around

Skip the ACV, plain water is all they need. Check for pasty butt daily. If they get blocked and can't poop they can die, so keep those bottoms clean! Do you have chick grit? You'll want to offer some in a separate dish a few days before you offer anything besides their chick starter, like any kind of treats. They're so tiny and cute! My babies are ten weeks old already and it's hard to believe they were ever as small as that, they grow so fast! Enjoy!

Skip the ACV, plain water is all they need. Check for pasty butt daily. If they get blocked and can't poop they can die, so keep those bottoms clean! Do you have chick grit? You'll want to offer some in a separate dish a few days before you offer anything besides their chick starter, like any kind of treats. They're so tiny and cute! My babies are ten weeks old already and it's hard to believe they were ever as small as that, they grow so fast! Enjoy!

Thank you! I’m in love with their cute fluffy selves for sure. And yes I gave them some chick grit in a separate paper dish. The buff Orpington already had pasty butt once so I’m checking them all a couple times a day 😊

Wait, people brood in the house?? How to deal with the smell???by 2 weeks I kicked mine out of my garage to their coop and brooded in there. I cant imagine having them inside.

I brood inside. I prefer it, to ensure they’re good and safe, plus we are in Colorado and our detached garage isn’t heated or rodent proof, and our other outbuildings don’t have electricity. Barn is much too big for a warm brooder space as well. Doing frequent cleaning helps with smell. I also brood in big plastic totes though, so much easier to dump shavings and cleanout. Only thing I really dislike is the dust..so much dust...lol

We got our chicks (Mt Healthy) this morning. I wasn’t expecting them until tomorrow so I didn’t have everything set up quite yet. Does this look ok? I feel bad it’s not up to temp yet but they seem to be doing ok. Going back and forth from the heater and food/water.
How soon after the gro gel should we offer starter food? And grit? Should I add vitamins or ACV to the water? The Buff Orpington chick had pasty butt and I cleaned it up best I could. Just not wanting to screw up ❤View attachment 2104259
Wow love their tv!

we don’t have the coop built yet. And they very likely will get moved to the loft above the garage soon (separate building).
Some people brood inside and some don’t. I have 7 in a playpen right in the middle of my family room.
They will get to know us all very well. And it makes it easy to know that everything is ok because we can check on them constantly the first couple of weeks.

I read posts “I went out to check on the chicks and found 6 dead...”. That is unlikely to happen if they are near you because you would know there was a problem way before that.

So do what is comfortable for you.

But it is messy when they get a few weeks old. But it’s only a couple of weeks so it’s something I’m willing to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom