Does This Sound About Right?

Hmmm, sunglasses. Might work for the girl if we can find her a pair that she likes the feel of. She won't wear anything if she doesn't like the way it feels. Just got her wearing regular shoes this year, still no socks though! The boy is determined to use the welding helmet, lmao! He even wore it around to prove he can see in it. Tried to get a pic but the camera wasn't charged.

The old folks are saving their cartons. Well, some are saving their coffee cans. They say they fit better in the fridge. I might try that when I pick up my 10 dozen this month. I feel you on the hunger thing. I regularly feed a couple of extra families. In return I get help with the veggie and herb gardens, plus other things like babysitting and the stuff my hubby doesn't have the knowledge for. Next season we are going a lot bigger with the gardens and starting canning. Other people I help out a few times and get them started with their own gardens, but my regulars aren't allowed since they live in apartments.

Carolyn, I have my orders in for this year already. I'm sure I'll be looking for additions before long, though. I never even thought about getting chicks from anywhere besides a hatchery. Silly of me since I know some 4Hers who could at least send me in the right direction. I will definitely look into locals when I'm ready for more birds. And you could say I'm acquiring my flock in stages, just big stages. It will take a lot of eggs to feed this family, plus the regulars, plus have extras for the old folks. I gave the hubby a limit of 30 birds the first go round since this is all new to us. We'll get more once we've settled in to the routine and had a break from raising chicks. We have a good variety coming so I'm hoping to see what types the kiddos are more into so that we can find more along those lines for them.

Well, my coffee is gone and the laundry is calling my name. Lord I can't wait till spring, and the smell of line dried sheets! Happy New Year!

Oh My... Line Dried Sheets. Those are heavenly! My little granddaughters have never had that experience so when they were visiting one weekend I had them smell the laundry that was dry on the lines. I told them how much I loved it and that that is the smell of SunShine! Next visit the older one had a beach towel hanging up to dry and asked if it smelled like sunshine yet! Sadly her mom uses so much heavily scented stuff that that's the only thing I could smell. Around here we don't get enough warm dry weather to hang laundry outside very often. But it's heaven when we do.

Have a great New Year.

Hmmm, sunglasses. Might work for the girl if we can find her a pair that she likes the feel of. She won't wear anything if she doesn't like the way it feels. Just got her wearing regular shoes this year, still no socks though! The boy is determined to use the welding helmet, lmao! He even wore it around to prove he can see in it. Tried to get a pic but the camera wasn't charged.

................the smell of line dried sheets! Happy New Year!
LOL, well, sounds like your kids are characters! I'm sure you'll figure out something that works for all of you.

We do a garden too, but the last 3 years have been ..... challenging to say the least. We've been in Exceptional Drought status and my pastures all look like the Sahara. Even watering the garden, with the heat, production has been way down. Praying for a normall year in 2013!

Line dried sheets......mmmmmmmmmmm! Next to being able to own chickens, I think that's one of the biggest pleasures of living in the country! I was dumb founded to hear that a lot of towns have ordinances against line drying your clothes! That's good enough to keep me out of city limits, for sure.

Happy New Year, E'erbunny!

We say our line dried stuff smells like camping. Now we're line drying in the basement for the winter.This old house has no outside vent and the humidity is unbearable using one of those box things. The dryer died and I just can't seem to find the money for a new one.
wink.png
My teenage girls hated me for a good two weeks, but they're getting used to it! Bonus, I open up one of the little windows down there and everything smells like it was dried outside!

Last year's garden was pretty bad for me, too. The drought plus a camping trip and there was no saving a lot of my plants. We rely on the garden for most of our food during spring, summer, and fall so our budget took a serious hit. Now my mouth is watering, thinking about garden fresh tomatoes. And cucumbers. I think we'll go camping in the back yard this year.

I live inside the city limits but it's not too bad here. They don't over-regulate. There is even a program for the really poor neighborhoods that got a ton of condemned houses torn down and gardens put in on the empty lots. The list of ordinances on keeping animals is pretty short, too. I have to have the coops at least 50 feet from any structure used as a residence but I don't have to keep the birds penned, and no rules on how many or roosters. The rule for pigs is you can't let your pig get its excrement on your neighbor's property. The ordinances are so short and simple that I actually called about it and the receptionist and I had a great time getting the scoop on things. Mostly the rules in place are distances for structures and those are just to discourage people from keeping animals that they don't have the space for. Exceptions are made regularly and as long as you're taking care of your animals you can get away with breaking some rules.

Well, the coffee has sobered me up and the mess from last night's celebration is waiting for me. Happy New Year!

We say our line dried stuff smells like camping. Now we're line drying in the basement for the winter.This old house has no outside vent and the humidity is unbearable using one of those box things. The dryer died and I just can't seem to find the money for a new one.
wink.png
My teenage girls hated me for a good two weeks, but they're getting used to it! Bonus, I open up one of the little windows down there and everything smells like it was dried outside!

Last year's garden was pretty bad for me, too. The drought plus a camping trip and there was no saving a lot of my plants. We rely on the garden for most of our food during spring, summer, and fall so our budget took a serious hit. Now my mouth is watering, thinking about garden fresh tomatoes. And cucumbers. I think we'll go camping in the back yard this year.

I live inside the city limits but it's not too bad here. They don't over-regulate. There is even a program for the really poor neighborhoods that got a ton of condemned houses torn down and gardens put in on the empty lots. The list of ordinances on keeping animals is pretty short, too. I have to have the coops at least 50 feet from any structure used as a residence but I don't have to keep the birds penned, and no rules on how many or roosters. The rule for pigs is you can't let your pig get its excrement on your neighbor's property. The ordinances are so short and simple that I actually called about it and the receptionist and I had a great time getting the scoop on things. Mostly the rules in place are distances for structures and those are just to discourage people from keeping animals that they don't have the space for. Exceptions are made regularly and as long as you're taking care of your animals you can get away with breaking some rules.

Well, the coffee has sobered me up and the mess from last night's celebration is waiting for me. Happy New Year!

HAH! I bet those teens didn't know what to do without the dryer, I mean how do you iron clothes at the last minute? When we first started dating my husband called the dryer "the big round iron" because he never pulled his clothes out of the washer til the wrinkles had set in real good. He got broke of THAT bad habit real PDQ! Now he knows how to starch AND iron, not that he does it real often, I happen to like to do that.

I've decided that drought or no drought, I will have my garden this year and will water it regardless. The produce in the groceries is a) not the quality I want and b) the prices! yikes!. So, weighing it all out, I'll pay the water bill and have some decent produce. And CAN for winter! I'm down to my last jar of Golden Coins (Honeyed Carrots) and the thought of buying is utterly depressing. SO! I'll be tilling and planting come March/April after the last frost.......assuming we get enough moisture to actually GET a frost........hrrrrrmmmmm!
he.gif

Well if they thought losing the dryer was bad they're gonna cry when the washer gives up, teehee!

This year I will be burying coffee cans with tiny holes in them so that I can fill them with water to cut down on trips down the hill to the garden. No hose hook up in this old house,either. You are right about the quality of the produce. I am determined to do better with it this year 'cause nothin' tastes better than my own greens!

Back
Top Bottom