Does this sound like a coon ?????

thoughtsbysabian

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Hawley, PA
Well as of last night I (had) 7 leghorn/RIR mix hens, and one roo..... Now I have 1 hen 3 headless hens, and 1 headless roo.....
sad.png
One of the hens looks to be partially eaten, but nothing else.... Oh and for the other 3...?!?!? You got me they are gone. From what I have read, this sounds like a coon, but I would like to hear everyones input on this..... Really, what I am asking here is what type of AMMO I need to pick up .22 or 12 gauge shells!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something is going to have to pay.

Yikes! I'm so sorry about your birds. Do you know how it got in your coop?

Last edited:
Well thats that funny thing..... There is no sign of breaking and entering. Also the one that is still whole (and alive) was found OUTSIDE the coop..... No idea how she was able to get out either.....

Quote:
Maybe the hens that diapeared hid?They are great at hiding so ill bet there up ina tree somewhere or down on the ground.When somthing attacked my golden phoenix hens,I found 1 up in a tree about 40 ft up!How long have they been missing?

They have been missing since this morning.... I did look up in the trees, but I have about 3 WOODED acres in my backyard. If they are hiding, I will never find them. I was thinking about tossing some feed in the backyard to try to lure anyone that may indeed be hiding.

Do possums take the birds with them? One of our hens is missing and all that was left was a bunch of feathers...no blood or anything else. Maybe she is in the trees? If so will she come down on her own??

Good question.... I would like to know the answer to that as well.... If they are roosting in the trees, will they come down on their own????

That's terrible!!! We get huge racoons where we live. The sheriiff came by a few months ago warning us that racoons killed a 60lb lab in the neighborhood and to keep all our animals locked up tight! I never heard of coons being able to kill a large dog!!! They are very smart and can even figure out how to operate some types of latches. He said they are actually hunting in teams (not normal for coons). He said it's because their food supply is disappearing and they have to use new methods or starve.
I'd get both types of ammo and put a baby monitor in the coop till you catch the culprit!

GREAT IDEA SunnyDawn....... I love the baby monitor idea, I am going to do that as soon as I get a new flock. Like I mentioned earlier, I had a VERY small flock of 8, now I am down to 1.... So I am going to work on more predator prevention throughout the week, and get another 8 or so this weekend..... Once again, I LOVE THAT IDEA, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom