Does this sound like a good idea?

sheila3935

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
My neighbor and I have a combined total of about 75 chickens. We were thinking of going in together to buy a pallet of feed as we cant find anywhere in our area that sells in bulk. A local feed store that has been here forever told us to wait til the fall to do it cause grain prices are really high right now and he thinks they will come down in the fall. Any way he said we could buy a pallet which is 50 50 lbs bags on like a credit type deal meaning that we could pay for the pallet and come in and pick up bags as needed that way we would always have fresh feed. If we bought right now it would cost us approximately 600.00 but he said that come fall he could get us a better price. Does this sound like as good idea to you as it does to us? By the way we have just about the same amount of chickens I think she has 2 more than me.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm more than happy to hear you say that someone told you that feed prices are going to go down later in the year!!

$12/50 lbs is a good price around here. I pay about $24/50lbs for organic but I know the regualr layer food is more than $12.

Sounds like your local feed store is a business I would like to shop at. It is always nice to support the local mom & pop stores, even if it cost a little more.

And they have a really good layer feed. I have given my chickens feed from other stores and they dont do as well on those. Also the feed they have is made here in our town unlike the chain feed stores. Guess we will do this it also gives us time to save up the money. She is a teaching assistant single mom so she only has unemployment in the summer months and my husband is disable so I am the only one working. We share selling eggs to supplement. I am really fortunate to have a good neighbor who has become my friend.

Back
Top Bottom