1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this sound like impacted crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chris503632, Jan 12, 2017.

1. chris503632

chris503632 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Hi guys,

One of our girls got a bit lethargic and stopped eating 5 days ago. On day 1 (Sunday) we took her to the vets who prescribed some antibiotics. We brought her inside to separate her from the others and she has picked up to a degree. She wanders round her pen and picks at food, but still isn't eating properly.

She hasn't really pooped either - a few watery ones, but nothing substantial. This morning, I realised her crop seems full(ish) and solid. This sounds like impacted crop to me - do these symptoms match anyone's experience.

Taking her back to the vets today, but nay info would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sounds like Impacted crop to me.Offer her Grit and give her olive oil in a eye dropper.Try to massage the crop often.

@TwoCrows

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by