Does Too Many Veggies Equal Fewer Eggs?? HOLY MOLEY UPDATE!!!

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
My garden overproduced yellow crookneck squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. More than we could use or even give away. So I have been giving quite a bit to my flock.

The flock is mostly Jersey Giants, along with a few guinea fowl and about 9 ducks, approx. 35 fowl in all. They have been getting the veggies just about everyday for about a month, in addition to flock raiser and oyster shell (those are free fed, no limits) , and they also get corn scratch almost everyday, about 3 cups between them all.

I noticed lately that the egg production has slowed down so much it is now at a standstill. NO eggs at all. Is it from too many veggies and corn? I have stopped all corn and veggies as of 3 days ago.

Can too many veggies be bad for laying? They are still plowing through their flockraiser though, so the veggies havent slowed down their feed consumption. I also suddenly have 3 broodies, so that doesnt help egg production.

The guineas arent laying due to being too young, as well as the ducks and some of the Jerseys, but I was getting 8 or 9 eggs a day consistantly, and now....none.

Sooooo...... too many veggies or something else? BTW- they are wormed and dont have any illness's and have fresh running water all day.

WHOA!!!! I just went out to check for eggs with my 3 little boys (2 years, 4 yrs, 7 years) and as I was walking past the hen house (which is right next to our 1 horse barn used for another coop with about 10 inches of space between the two buildings) for some reason something caught my eye. My first thought was ' Who tossed a lead rope in between the buildings?" Then mommy instinct kicked in, and I took a closer look. Far towards the back is a huge ol rattlesnake curled up around itsself, with a big bulge in its middle!!!! Boy did I freak out!!! I scooped my youngest up in my arms, screamed for my other son to RUN and grabbed my 4 yr olds hand and RAN the heck outta there!! I told them to run, there is a rattlesnake in the pen!! And they sure moved it quick! Proud of them for being so obediant without saying a word- just immediate movement. PHEW!!

HUbby got the gun with some snakeshot in it and hit it once, then let my oldest son finish it off with a few more shots. Im soooo glad its dead, but I do have a tiny bit of guilt. It only had a big rat in its stomach- I thought it had been eating eggs!! I hate to kill a vermin eater, but my children are FAR more important than one snakes' life. My son did the autopsy- he's cool like that, not grossed out by that kinda stuff and very curious.

Man, not a fun way to start our day!!

NEW QUESTION- Will the hens stop laying if they are scared because of a big ol predator hanging around?

Last edited:
Most of the chickens in my area are in molt right now and egg production naturally slows then. I've never noticed any slack in egg production merely from having access to more veggies and fruits but these tend to come on at the end of summer when the birds are molting anyway, so it may be just coincidence?

Oh my gosh. I feel dumb now
lol.png
You'd think I would have put the TONS of feathers in the yard together with fewer eggs!! Geez, I didnt even think about that! Molting......
th.gif

Thank you!!! Im literally smiling and shaking my head at myself for not thinking about that!! LOL!!
tongue.png

Quote:
I used to love mothering.com's forums for parenting advice. They have changed a bit, but you could still check them out.
wink.png

I'm sure the molt is your main problem but also veggies don't have as much protein (some have none). So if you go heavy on the veggies some left over meat or something is in order to bump up the protein. Eggs need protein and calcium.

Back
Top Bottom