Does weather affect egg production?

jencrom

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 10, 2014
I know egg production slows in winter and with shorter days but can chickens sense when bad weather is approaching and will they stop laying? About ten days ago my 8 hens (RIRs, Australorps, Auracaunas, comets and buff orps - all under 1yr old) all stopped laying. Its still summer like conditions here in Charleston and the days are still long. We were in the path of Hurricane Irma but have been spared a direct hit. My question - Can they sense this bad weather and would that be why they have stopped laying? There have been no other changes, diet or otherwise.

Generally hens stop production about a week after the bad weather or temperature drop, but I wouldn't doubt the changing pressures in front of a storm will have the same affects and cause a halt in laying. Things like a predator sniffing around at night could also make everyone stop at once too.

x2
We were close to the path of total eclipse, and even the dramatic drop in light and temperature that day for a few minutes totally scrambled my hens. They were off for several days.

High heat, sudden drop in temps, big storms, all affect them.

I haven't had to witness it yet (thankfully) but I bet they could sense and react to earthquake activity. Occasionally we will have big rolling s waves and some minor quakes. I bet that would really scramble them too. :p

Glad you will be missed by Irma. Prayers continue for all in the hurricane paths of late.

LofMc

Generally hens stop production about a week after the bad weather or temperature drop, but I wouldn't doubt the changing pressures in front of a storm will have the same affects and cause a halt in laying. Things like a predator sniffing around at night could also make everyone stop at once too.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about predators. We did lose a chicken to a raccoon, but that was a few months ago. We figured out how it got in and haven't had a problem since. Maybe the raccoon is still around though?

Thanks y'all. Hopefully they will relax and get back to normal soon. I might have to buy eggs for the first time in 4 yrs. ;) On a separate note....if we were at some point to need to evacuate for a storm what is the best way to keep my hens safe? If we had to leave this time I was going to keep them in the coop with extra food and water and hope for the best. Our coop is raised and the underneath is enclosed. So they could get down below but still be protected. They could get up high in the coop if we had standing water.

Back
Top Bottom