Does your chicken roost in the same spot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Just a curiousity question. I've noticed that when I go out in the evening to close the door on the coop, my rooster and 3 hens(right next to the roo) are in the same spot every night. For the other 18 it is first come first serve. Does anyone else notice this behavior with their flock?

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    For my chickens, it seems to be a race for who gets to the top roost first. I will have a couple of chickens on the top roost a half hour before dusk. They are "claiming their spot". However, it does seem that the ones who are higher on the pecking order get their spot no matter when they come to roost. They have no problem pushing, pecking, stepping on, climbing over, and sitting on another chicken to "get their spot". Every night when I go out to check on them, it seems the same ones are on the "bottom row" again.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Mine fight over who gets to sit on the highest roost. They're in a different spot every night.

4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    YES! Everyone has their own spot they go to each night.

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Yep, all of our fourteen chickens have their own spots [​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The hens at the top of the pecking order in my flock all roost in the same place, however the birds on the bottom of the order seem to move around alot, maybe trying to move uo a notch or two. [​IMG]

bigzio

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Mine each had their spot - every night in the same order on the roost.

8. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    Everyone has their own spot. Leader at the top and baby at the bottom.
    Just like the kids around the dinner table and the TV. LOL

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Mine seem to have their own spots. I notice the older ones go to bed first...

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Once my girls stopped fighting about who gets to sleep closest to the roo, they all sleep in their favorite spots on the roost.
    I have a sweet, quiet little hen named Maggie. I named her after a dear elderly friend of mine who is also sweet, quiet and petite.
    Last week my largest hen dared to take Maggie's spot on the roost. I saw Maggie reach up with her beak and grabbed the other hen by the wing. She flung her to the floor and took the vacant spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by