Does your chickens try to eat your toes?

lilmouthy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Alabama
Or is it just mine that have a foot fetish?? LOL

I've always walked around bare foot,can't stand shoes...that is until I got these chickens. Only because they make too much of a mess to walk around barefoot. So now,I just go out with flip flops on. They all follow me around like puppy dogs. Trust me,I can't tell you the number of times I've almost ate dirt just from trying to keep from stepping on somebody. Anyhow,they are constantly trying to eat my toes. It first started out as pecking them,now they actually grab them and try to pull them off my feet. So,when ever I stop,I have to remember to curl my toes under,or they'll try and pull them. If I'm not paying attention and they get a hold of one,Not only does it startle me,but it hurts. LOL

Does your chicks do this?

I had a very sweet Barred Rock that would always peck my feet when I went outside! You know, I was the only one she did that too. It was kind of funny, but yes, it does hurt. I guess they love us?
idunno.gif

You betcha! If I wear flip-flops I have to keep my toes curled under too. So I bought some plastic shoes at Walmart. They have two straps to keep them on (velcro), and I can just wash them off with the waterhose after I leave the chicken yard. Or, better yet, just leave them on the back porch and slip on a clean pair once I'm in the house.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

This cracked me up
smile.png

My hubby has been chased by ours because he had flip flops on and they wanted his toes.

Now, he runs from them!

I have a stool in the run and I go out there and sit and visit with the chicks several times everyday.

If I wear sandles out there, 3 of the girls peck at my toes or shoes. I think it's funny. They are gentle with me and so far no one has grabbed a hold of a toe. Ouch that would hurt.

Yesterday I was holding and petting one of the chicks and one of the 3 toe peckers started on my right foot. She would peck and then look up at me. Then peck again. After about 5 minutes of this she walked around to the left side and pecked and looked up. Next thing I know she hops up on my lap too. That's the first time anyone ever voluntarily got on my lap. So there I sat holding and petting two chickens at one time. I loved it.

I do try to remember to wear a pair of crocs out to the run. They are so easy to hose off. But I have 3 doors in my house that I use all of the time and invarably the crocs are sitting outside one of the other doors, so out I go with the sandles on.

Maybe we should get toe pecking photos and share them
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom