Does your flock get upset or stressed if...

5SweetChicks

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Michigan
Does your flock get upset or stressed if you get rid of some of the chickens? I had 3 roosters and 2 pullets and got rid of 2 roosters today because that was way too many roosters. But will the rest of the flock get upset or stressed?

They will be a little stressed for a day or so while they restablish the pecking order but they should be fine after that.

They will be a little stressed for a day or so while they restablish the pecking order but they should be fine after that.

X2 - they will re-establish the order, so the dynamics of your coop will change a little but they will be happier. We had too many roos too and the day after they were gone, everything changed. One of our hens that was skittish became more friendly, a new hen was put low on the pecking order, etc. - it can be interesting the changes that happen but they all seemed calmer without those extra roos.

Okay, that doesn't sound bad at all. I was worried they would be a upset and stress out for a long time

Last edited:
In the animal world, your buddies just sometimes up and disappear. I think animals are a lot more resilant about it than humans are, to them it's just normal. Your hens will probably be happier and LESS stressed with the roos gone.

Agreed. Although one of the girls is calling for them but they still don't show up. She will get over it eventually and get some new friends in spring
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom