Does your flock get upset or stressed if...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 5SweetChicks, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Does your flock get upset or stressed if you get rid of some of the chickens? I had 3 roosters and 2 pullets and got rid of 2 roosters today because that was way too many roosters. But will the rest of the flock get upset or stressed?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    They will be a little stressed for a day or so while they restablish the pecking order but they should be fine after that.

3. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    X2 - they will re-establish the order, so the dynamics of your coop will change a little but they will be happier. We had too many roos too and the day after they were gone, everything changed. One of our hens that was skittish became more friendly, a new hen was put low on the pecking order, etc. - it can be interesting the changes that happen but they all seemed calmer without those extra roos.

4. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Okay, that doesn't sound bad at all. I was worried they would be a upset and stress out for a long time

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In the animal world, your buddies just sometimes up and disappear. I think animals are a lot more resilant about it than humans are, to them it's just normal. Your hens will probably be happier and LESS stressed with the roos gone.

6. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Agreed. Although one of the girls is calling for them but they still don't show up. She will get over it eventually and get some new friends in spring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by