Does Your Rooster Do This?

rdl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
I have a white rock rooster that crows almost nonstop throughout the night while he roosts. As far as I can tell there is never an extended time when he is not crowing. Also, very often you can hear him very loudly beating his wings while he roosts. It is amazingly loud. I have two roosters but only one seems to do this.

I wonder if this is unusual.

Roosters do tend to crow at all times .. But I wonder if maybe you have birds or mice or something trying to get into the coop at night.. The wing flapping I havent seen unless a roo is trying to be intimidating..

Some roosters do crow at night, it's usually because they can see a light or there is noise around them. The wing flapping is usually jostling for space on the roost- is your roost long enough?

We have roosters that do that too. I've even run out there in the middle of the night to try to figure out what was wrong, but didn't see anything. Someone here mentioned mice--that might be the culprit in my case. We've caught lots of mice and rats. Sometimes the chickens will even catch and eat the mice.

I've heard of other's roos doing that too. I didn't have a roo long, but when I did, there was a couple times that he would crow in the middle of the night.
hmm.png

If I hear my rooster crow at night - which has only happened once or twice - it's because there is some kind of disturbance in the coop. My coop is far away from the house that there is no lights out there to bother him.

Quote:
Ours generally stop crowing before dusk...they will crow all day but will stop by the time it's completely dark, unless they hear or see something. They don't crow all night even if the light is on in their coop all night (to keep the waterer from freezing up) and then they will tart up again when it's barely light out in the morning.

Ours also flap their wings (but only during the day time) when they want to look intimidating...such as when they see another rooster or when they see a stranger. One of our roosters, Juno, is one of the sweetest roosters we've ever had. He's a mix between a RIR/Red Star that we hatched out from our chickens.
smile.png
He will flap his wings whenever he sees another rooster (he may still be pretty young, but he tries to act like a big, tough rooster for the hens.
tongue.png
) and whenever he sees someone coming over to him. But he's not aggressive. He will flap his wings so often that his nickname is "Little Drummer Boy"!
lau.gif

I would definitely check to see why your rooster is flapping his wings at night so much. Are you sure the hens aren't doing it? Maybe there isn't enough room for them all and one or two of them have to keep flapping their wings to stay on the perch? Or maybe some of them get pushed off and the flapping is from them trying to get back up but since it's dark they can't see anything??? I don't know...maybe try and buy a reasonably-priced night camera and record a night in the coop to see what goes on in there?

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom