Does your spouse or significant other support your chicken hobby?

I"m pretty lucky too. My husband is outside right now converting a 12 x 20 stall into a coop for me.
My chicks don't even arrive until march 4, but a found a lady who is willing to sell me three young
black copper maran hens. . and she wants them gone pretty quickly, so we are having to rush getting
the coop done and the weather has been just ghastly. He even added two chicks to the order that he
wanted and chose (a golden laced wyandotte and a dominique). And then he has to turn his attention
to building a brooder to be all ready for when the chicks arrive! He likes chickens, we used to have a
flock of about 30, but a lot of stuff happened that caused us to have to give them to my cousin. . .
a few of them I still miss and so does he. So we're both looking forward to having chickens again!

My wife grew up on a chicken farm so obviously....she hates chickens!!! LOL
Good thing is, she is quick to point out my faults and has no trouble telling me that I'm DOING IT ALL WRONG!

My wife doesn't comment on them much. She knew what she was getting into when she married me. I deal with her horses so were pretty much even. The other day she said it would be nice to have some turkeys! Lol don't have to tell me twice!

My other half came home one day to me proudly showing him a mini incubator full of eggs.
fl.gif

He just shook his head, laughed & walked off.
th.gif

When the chicks hatched he thought they were adorable.
wee.gif

Until "Cheep, Cheep, CHEEP!"
sad.png

Poop, Poop, Poop!
ep.gif

Then he was yelling "Get them out of the living room!"
hide.gif

Then little Nugget realized she could fly across the room one day.
D.gif

"Honey! Do something with this bloody bird!" He was yelling from the sofa & looking cross as Nugget happily hopped from one knee to the other & back again trying to find a way up onto his shoulder.
jumpy.gif

Then I tried to build a coop. He decided I wasn't doing it right. He built the coop.
old.gif

He fell asleep on the sofa. I woke upto a yell the next morning because he woke up with three 2 week old chicks on his head. They had escaped the box.
lau.gif

He banned them from the home. They ran back in through the doors & flew in through windows.
hu.gif

He kicked them out, saw a cat & a lingering crow & was videoed by his laughing mate chasing baby chickens around the garden, frantically scooping them up & bringing them in, telling his mate to "P**s off!"
gig.gif

These days he's resigned himself to the fact, as annoying as they can be, chickens are an extension of the household & everyone else without them is missing out.
love.gif

He's building a new run this week & is sitting on the sofa with a pair of roosters under his stairs.
hugs.gif

Meanwhile, I got Rabbits & Quail to
big_smile.png
he's not said no to anything yet as long as he doesn't have to have much to do with them.
roll.png
He likes watching them though.

I consider rearing chickens as a bonding time for my hubby and me. I am so lucky I have his support on this new found hobby of mine ;-)

My sweet wife supports the chicken venture completely. During her decline in health (end stage breast cancer) she has enjoyed the eggs, meat, the calming effects of watching and feeding the chickens, and especially hatching out chicks. As we are expecting our first hatch of the season this coming weekend, she insisted that I make a brooder to put in the family room, so that she can watch them at least for the first week or so. So can't get out to the chicken areas any more as her health declines, but she still enjoys them. She has been the stabilizing factor for me. A supportive spouse is a great asset.

Okay so it appears the majority of response has been from the ladies well in my case I
was the one initiating taking on raising chickens and at first my wife mostly said go ahead but don't expect me to do cleaning up etc. Well after raising two mature hens and now 8 new mixed
chicks she has already picked one out for her own even naming it, now I still don't expect her to get into the cleaning etc but hey she does enjoy watching them and doesn't have any problems with me spending time with them.

I got a shipment of tropical fish yesterday, and was probably a little too excited when I discovered they'd sent them in a really nice styrofoam cooler (I'm sure you can see where this is going). As I was proudly going to hoard away my new treasure I was expecting something like "What are you going to do with that?" instead I got "That would make a great incubator!" :celebrate

Wow, you've got him well trained. I made my incubator out of one of those, have one held in reserve, and also have a super well insulated box that came from a pharmacy. Perhaps I should make a second bator so I can have one just for hatching?

Back
Top Bottom