Dog at work problem

That makes sense. In that case, if you can tame/train the dog, it makes you even more valuable.

Dogs are like little kids, in that they need to be taught what is acceptable behavior. If you like the dog, it might be worth your time to help it to be better behaved.

HOWEVER. Unless you have anything in writing, there is no guarantee of him making you his partner. Where I used to work, the owner had implied that certain people were going to take the business over when he retired, my husband among them. That never happened. All of the people he implied that to eventually left. I don't want to rain on your parade, just say that "hints" are no guarantee of what will happen. Been there, saw that.
Oh I'm very aware of that. A manager at a previous job had hinted that I'd be made a manager...and then went with an outside hire. I know its no guarantee but I'm hopeful for the possibility. Again, I love my job so whether I'm part owner or part time I dont care. I just would rather an opportunity not pass me by due to this issue. Today if I have the bag of treats she stays off me but if I dont shes jumping like crazy. I'm gonna keep working with her

I've been trying to train the dog when I'm there to stop this behavior but its tough because its not consistent since I only work twice a week. I do know tgat what they are doing which is just yelling at her is NOT working. Ive taken to letting my work pile up on my desk and turning it in all at once so I only have to deal with it once or twice. But this makes my proofreader backed up and then I'm sitting at my desk playing solitare until she can get back to me on changes. Its just not working. I dont want to quit this job over this dog because I really do love working there.
I have not read all 6 pages but I have a suggestion that I hope might help. Get an empty, dry plastic water bottle. Put a quarter to half a cup of dried beans in it and put the lid on it. When the dog charges at you, shake the bottle, HARD. It should startle the dog, stopping the bad behavior. Say Good boy and go about your business. Don't otherwise engage with the dog. Keep an eye on the dog as you turn to leave. If the dog charges at you again, turn and throw the bottle near him, HARD. (Near. Not at. You don't want to hit the dog.) Calmly retrieve the bottle and walk away. Good idea to tell the dog's owner ahead of time you are going to do this. Do not otherwise engage with the dog on this occasion.

The next time you go in, prepare to repeat. But if the dog stands and does not approach you, smile and calmly, quietly, say Good boy. That's all. As you leave, prepare as above. If dog does not charge you, quietly say, Good boy. And leave.

Repeat for about three days. When you are sure the dog will not attack you, you can calmly, quietly offer to pet him as you enter and leave.

If you try this, I would appreciate feedback on how it works for you. You should not have to fear getting bitten. Nor should you have to train somebody else's dog. But this is pretty much self-defense and I'm confident it will work.

I have not read all 6 pages but I have a suggestion that I hope might help. Get an empty, dry plastic water bottle. Put a quarter to half a cup of dried beans in it and put the lid on it. When the dog charges at you, shake the bottle, HARD. It should startle the dog, stopping the bad behavior. Say Good boy and go about your business. Don't otherwise engage with the dog. Keep an eye on the dog as you turn to leave. If the dog charges at you again, turn and throw the bottle near him, HARD. (Near. Not at. You don't want to hit the dog.) Calmly retrieve the bottle and walk away. Good idea to tell the dog's owner ahead of time you are going to do this. Do not otherwise engage with the dog on this occasion.

The next time you go in, prepare to repeat. But if the dog stands and does not approach you, smile and calmly, quietly, say Good boy. That's all. As you leave, prepare as above. If dog does not charge you, quietly say, Good boy. And leave.

Repeat for about three days. When you are sure the dog will not attack you, you can calmly, quietly offer to pet him as you enter and leave.

If you try this, I would appreciate feedback on how it works for you. You should not have to fear getting bitten. Nor should you have to train somebody else's dog. But this is pretty much self-defense and I'm confident it will work.
This is good advice but the situation has been resolved. I brought in treats for 3 days at work and held my hands up and said stay off. The dog now recognizes this as an initial command and I can walk past it.

This is good advice but the situation has been resolved. I brought in treats for 3 days at work and held my hands up and said stay off. The dog now recognizes this as an initial command and I can walk past it.
Yes, I saw that I was late to the party, lol. Glad this has been resolved. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom