dog ate eggs under my broody hen

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
My moms dog decided to squeeze into my chicken coop (it’s a very small area to the nesting areas) and ate the only four eggs under my smooth frizzle hen. They were just starting to pip and I was extremely excited for them to hatch. I’m very unhappy with the dog and confused why she would eat the ONLY eggs under my hen. (She’s a Great Dane by the way, so it’s not very unlikely for this to happen). She has killed a few of my ducks and chickens in the past and has been scolded many times for being near any chickens. Any idea why she would aim for those eggs specifically? I’m curious for future concept.

Last edited:
The dog is doing what a dog does - look for something to play with or something tasty to eat. It's not doing this to spite you or because it wants you to be unhappy. It DOES need to be supervised and/or the chickens properly secured so this doesn't happen again.

Just kind of amazed that a Great Dane could squeeze into a coop! How big is your pop door? Do you and your mother live in the same house/property? If not, do you have a run where the chickens can be locked up for safety while this dog is visiting your house (or ask your mom not to bring it over).

So I have had and currently have several puppies and cats that know things that I like/use a lot, and they will sit on/guard/chew on. The TV remote is laid on by my Maine Coon and he gets pissy if I try and get it, I like the remote so he likes it to lay on. The dogs go after, take, and chew things like paperwork, metal wiring (just last night in fact), box of screws, and lumber. The box of screws flat out chapped my hide, as I was building the coop at the time and wouldn't drop or come back with them; had to pull out the soccer ball their obsession. Sorry, let me get back on point, as I hunted for the box of screws for a while until I saw the dog with them.

The dogs see us using these items or know that we are interested in something so they want play with what we're playing with or eat, it's that simple.
The dog didn't do this to get back at you in anyway, dog are not hard wired like that at all. It's a common misconception because we humans try and give dogs "human traits" such as spite/revenge.

Sorry if I gave the idea that I was blaming the dog for getting *revenge*. I am only confused on how the heck it got in the coop itself. In order for a dog to be able to fit through it, it would have to be the size of a large chicken. The only reason I believe it was the dog, is that she has gotten herself through some insane places when we thought she was too big. I did notice blood all in the nest and on the roof of it, and small eggshells hidden in the coop, which indicated they have been eaten. We do not have snakes or any other predators where we live because of the large dogs we have around to keep them away. Again, I’m sorry if I offended any of you with getting angry at the dog, and I do not believe there are animals plotting against me, thanks.

Sorry if I gave the idea that I was blaming the dog for getting *revenge*. I am only confused on how the heck it got in the coop itself. In order for a dog to be able to fit through it, it would have to be the size of a large chicken. The only reason I believe it was the dog, is that she has gotten herself through some insane places when we thought she was too big. I did notice blood all in the nest and on the roof of it, and small eggshells hidden in the coop, which indicated they have been eaten. We do not have snakes or any other predators where we live because of the large dogs we have around to keep them away. Again, I’m sorry if I offended any of you with getting angry at the dog, and I do not believe there are animals plotting against me, thanks.
I have a medium sized doggie door and my friends pit bull-Boxer mix can get in and out of it. It's amazing what dogs and cats can squeeze through.. as for the eggs? if you saw the dog for sure, he probably went for them as he could hear the chirping. You'll need to find where ever he got in through and get it secured, pretty much, once a chicken killer always a chicken killer, I'm sure that the dog found those eggs pretty tasty, so will be back for more,

More than one dog around here has stolen and carried off shoes of various types that have been left outside doors.

Before we built a more secure run, I caught our dog eating eggs in the chicken run a couple of different times. She was disciplined but we had to construct a dog-proof run in order to have ANY reproduction by our chickens.

The dog is still not safe around eggs. She mauled through a carton of store-bought eggs recently that had been left left in a shed with an open door for a few hours.

If the coop AND RUN are not secure from entry by dogs, yes, this sort of thing can happen, even when the dogs are the family pets.

Back
Top Bottom