Dog attack and Extreme shock

Helanaii

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2013
My irresponsible brother got a new dog a few weeks ago. She’s mostly left my chickens alone but today she got the other two dogs to chase and maul my birds while I was away at church.
They all gained up on my poor sweet Batam roo and ripped his feathers out. His entire back is wet with blood and dog slobber. My parents found him barely breathing. The other hens have feathers missing but they’re fine other than being a little roughed up.

I came home and couldn’t get him out of the corner, I finally got him out on my lap but he keeps trying to go to sleep, can someone please walk me through on getting a bird out of shock, I’m going to Google it as well but I know you guys have tips and tricks coming out of the wazoo.

The picture won’t load right now but his entire saddle is bare and looks like they tore his skin :/ his comb is turning almost black, my poor baby.

Hello! I'm so sorry, clean his wound with saline, make sure to get any slobber and dirt off of him and slather it with antibiotic cream. Wrap him up and keep him warm im a dark place, and give him sweetened water to drink. I held my injured cockerel for almost eight hours while working after his initial injury 😢.

Hello! I'm so sorry, clean his wound with saline, make sure to get any slobber and dirt off of him and slather it with antibiotic cream. Wrap him up and keep him warm im a dark place, and give him sweetened water to drink. I held my injured cockerel for almost eight hours while working after his initial injury 😢.

Should I wait for him to come out of shock or give him a little bath and clean the wounds asap?

I agree with SmiYa0126, clean the wound as best you can & bandage him up. If you have any betadine on hand that is a good disinfectant. Also, If you have any vet wrap you can use that to hold the bandage in place, just don't put it on too tight. When one of my hens was attacked by a fox her entire back was opened up and one wing broken. To my amazement she made a full recovery and lived another six years, she regained full use of the wing. Chickens are pretty amazing!

I agree with SmiYa0126, clean the wound as best you can & bandage him up. If you have any betadine on hand that is a good disinfectant. Also, If you have any vet wrap you can use that to hold the bandage in place, just don't put it on too tight. When one of my hens was attacked by a fox her entire back was opened up and one wing broken. To my amazement she made a full recovery and lived another six years, she regained full use of the wing. Chickens are pretty amazing!

I have a controlled iodine spray in my chicken emergency kit, I can use that right on the wound right?

I’ve had chickens for like 12+ years and I’ve been blessed enough to never have to do this before. 😭

I have a controlled iodine spray in my chicken emergency kit, I can use that right on the wound right?

I’ve had chickens for like 12+ years and I’ve been blessed enough to never have to do this before. 😭
I don't have experience with a 'controlled iodine spray' so read how they expect it to be used.

I am so glad you have not had to deal with this before but now you are learning some very valuable skills that will help both you and your flock into the future. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom