Dog attack and Extreme shock

Agree! Don't bath him, but flush the wound. I initially cleaned the wound with saline and then kept the little guy in my arms until he perked up a little and then did a more thorough cleaning and put cream on. How is he?

I don't have experience with a 'controlled iodine spray' so read how they expect it to be used.

I am so glad you have not had to deal with this before but now you are learning some very valuable skills that will help both you and your flock into the future. Good Luck!!

Thank you! I chickened out (lol) and just used a safe bacitracine for the skin. Gave him a bath, fluff-dryed, and scootched some feathers around. He’s still just standing in one place, not moving much. I got him to drink, he’s just not acting right. It’s been about 7 hours since the attack, hoping he’s back to his usual self tomorrow.

Got the blood off in this picture, a lot of his neck was bare too.
4FB284B8-D5F3-449E-A4FE-C3E6F3FCB196.jpeg

I did some feather styling and hid most of the damage so his much larger hens won’t pick on him. I think we got way without needing vet wrap for today. Hopefully he can go back with them tomorrow ^^’ he looks like a very different bird without his pretty feathers…
2AB39143-9AB4-4809-848B-169077A80D4E.jpeg

This was before the incident for comparison, still just grateful that he’s alive and that my mom rescued him in time <3 poor crackhead.

15906959-0D94-41FC-98B9-3F90233C20B9.jpeg

Thank you! I chickened out (lol) and just used a safe bacitracine for the skin. Gave him a bath, fluff-dryed, and scootched some feathers around. He’s still just standing in one place, not moving much. I got him to drink, he’s just not acting right. It’s been about 7 hours since the attack, hoping he’s back to his usual self tomorrow.

Got the blood off in this picture, a lot of his neck was bare too.
View attachment 3278764

I did some feather styling and hid most of the damage so his much larger hens won’t pick on him. I think we got way without needing vet wrap for today. Hopefully he can go back with them tomorrow ^^’ he looks like a very different bird without his pretty feathers…
View attachment 3278766

This was before the incident for comparison, still just grateful that he’s alive and that my mom rescued him in time <3 poor crackhead.

View attachment 3278791
Beautiful bird. Not as bad looking as I'm sure it was.
Betadine will impede healing. It should only be used sparingly one time to clean wound in the beginning, washed off and then don't use it any more.
Seeing you already got him cleaned up, just make sure his wounds stay clean and use antibiotic cream on them.

Beautiful bird. Not as bad looking as I'm sure it was.
Betadine will impede healing. It should only be used sparingly one time to clean wound in the beginning, washed off and then don't use it any more.
Seeing you already got him cleaned up, just make sure his wounds stay clean and use antibiotic cream on them.

Thank you! Yes he’s looking a lot better physically. He’s acting strange now, literally has not moved, but I’m hoping he’s just tired and is back to himself tomorrow.

Thank you guys for the help <3 I was really expecting it to be a lot worse.

Yes, how is he today?
How is he doing now?

He’s not eating, won’t drink hardly anything- and he hasn’t laid down at all. Not even during the night when he was supposed to be sleeping when I checked on him. He’s hunched up and still has green stressed mucus-y poop.
/:

My mom said they found him on his back, I’m wondering if he could’ve injured a rib or had something internal happen?? I was expecting him to be a little more perky today but it’s like he’s almost worse.

I’m at work right now but hopefully he’s okay when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom