Dog attack at 6:30am today

Livinzoo

Songster
13 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Statham, GA
Well I got awoke with a thunk. My inside dogs started barking. I ran to see what was up. I look out front nothing, look out back nothing, look back out front and I see two dogs going after one of my turkeys. I run to the door as I exit they hit the turk. He goes down. I run out and scream at the dogs to get out of here. One is a tan and white pit mix the other is a light colored husky with a collar. The run from me as I run towards them. Then the pit turned at me and started walking toward me. I know if I had retreated in the least he would have gone after me. You could see it in his eyes. At first I was thinking maybe he is being friendly then I realize his tail is in a neutral position and I am the one that he is hoping to chase next. That is a scary feeling. I have never been afraid of a dog in my life. Finally my husband comes out and they run across the street and go down the road. Then they turn and start coming back. I grab the closest weapon, a shovel and go arm him with it. They stand at the edge of the road. We are both on the property 20 feet from them. I hear a semi driving fast and get the idea that maybe I can chase them in front of it. So I wait, as it approaches I scream and step toward them. One runs put but is missed by the semi. The other leaves after that. My hubby called the police. There is a subdivision across the road and he wasn't positive we could shoot them. They are sending animal control. Animal control called him back and said you know you can shoot anything harming your livestock. So here I sit waiting for them to return, with the proper weapon to shoot. I have lost one turk another is injured and lost 3 young chickens and another of them is injured. I wonder how long it will take for the dogs to return.

Unfortunately we recently moved here and I haven't had time to construct a predator proof run. So my young birds are in a temporary pen in the back yard that they can easily get in and out of. Luckily my adult birds are still at the old place.

I'm glad the dog didn't come after you and it was lucky that your husband came out when he did. I absolutely hate pit bulls and any mutt with their blood running through it. I know people will argue that point, but I don't trust them because it is in their nature. A well trained pit can be a good pet, but those that don't get proper training are dangerous and a menace.

Sorry about your birds, but at least you walked away from it. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Oh, and it would be nice if animal control would come out and do their job instead of letting you do it for them, wouldn't it?
hmm.png
Especially since the animal was a threat to you.

So, sorry for your losses. Man, that is so scary. Thank goodness that dog didn't attack and your husband was home.

Sounds like you are prepared for another encounter. Good for you! Why didn't animal control come right away and catch them? Geesh. They always seem to take their sweet time.

SOOO frustrating, sorry for your troubles. Leaves one shaking in their boots, doesn't it?!
I just learned also, that you have the right to shoot if your property is threatened or damaged. I have two neighbors that have left me in this position. One requested that I "whack" their dog if it comes over
smack.gif
, the other didn't care until I threatened to shoot. People think they can do whatever they want, at the expense of everyone else. Damaging/destroying other's property falls under "thou shalt not steal"
Sorry for your loss of birds
hugs.gif
, keep them in a sturdy building until your run is constructed, keep the gun handy.

If you have a safe place to keep your birds, why keep any at an unsafe place? Build the proper run before you bring the birds home. It sounds like that you do not have a front yard fence, how do you keep the foul off of the road? Sorry to sound harsh but.......................

sorry for your loss if you cant shot were u are put out antifreeze for the dogs it is very sweet so they will drink it up an kill them.good luck hope u get them

Why is it that someone always has to get their panties in a bunch over what a thread says. I have over 7 acres. The birds stay on the property because my pastures on both sides of my house are fenced. I can't put babies in with adults because they will be killed, hence they can't be with my other birds. I bought a barn shed over a month ago but haven't been able to find anyone to move it. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it could be moved by a shed company. Unfortunately I now have to figure out how to make it shorter so that it can be moved, because it is too tall for the road. Besides my birds should be able to free range on my property.

so sorry for your birds please be careful a dog in prey mode is very dangures if the birds are on your property then its the dogs fault wish you luck to bad animal control does not come out and pick up these dogs what are the going to attack next that is what would worry me.

Ive had to call animal control and annoy them till they came out... they didnt seem to care until the dog in question actually attacked a jogger! Lame. Good luck to you, and be careful around those dogs!

Back
Top Bottom