dog attack emergency help please!!

jessejames

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
forest ontario canada
howdy
i just had one of my 7 week old barred rock pullets attacked by my puppy (wind blew barn door open while i was out)
here are some pics
36017_chicken_911_003.jpg

36017_chicken_911_004.jpg

36017_chicken_911_002.jpg

i know they arent the greatest shots but i hope you can see that there are 2 areas where the skin has come off mainlyon the right side of her skull and a small spot on her neck in the crop area.
i have blu cote and vet wrap as well as a good human first aid kit (i am a contractor so have a prof. one)
i am hoping that you all can give me some tips as to how to treat i am holding off on treatment now as she seems ok under the circumstances and i dont want to do something wrong.
please let me know what you all think asap
thanks again

Last edited:
You'd be surprised at what chickens can go through and survive! I'll bet she'll be fine if they're just flesh wounds.

I'd use some betadine to wash the affected areas and then put some regular triple antibiotic ointment on them. Keep her warm and dry (and in a quiet place) and make sure she's eating and drinking. Sometimes I'll warm their water just a tad and put some karo syrup in there for energy.

Good luck!

I have had chicks rip open their scalps on poultry wire and I have had a neighbor's dog break through a fence and maul a chicken.

I would flush the wound with Betadine. I would pat dry with clean sterile gauze. I would try to see if the edges of the wound will match together. Determine if there is tissue or skin missing. If it looks like the edges will line up without pulling on the chicken's face or body ( can't see the wounds well in the photos), I would attempt to fuse the edges together with duct tape and or crazy glue. I was alone when I had to put the chicken together and used long strips of duct tape to hold the edges together so I would not have to trim feathers. I worked slowly and looked for the best way to attach the duct tape from the front on the face over the wound and behind the neck. She looked a little silly but as she healed the tape worked off her feathers. If the duct tape won't hold, get some help to hold the edges together and apply ONE drop of crazy glue on the skin in the center of the wound to act like a tack or butterfly closures. Either way, run a bead of Neosporin along the wound, cover with a band-aid colored with a black marker or sprayed with BluKote. Watch to see that no other chickens take interest in the bandage or wound. You will be surprised at how fast these birds heal. If you line up the edges good and there is no skin missing, you will never see the scar, the feathers will grow over.

My first repair to a head wound did not look as professional as my second and third attempt. Take this wound as a learning opportunity. Be patient, think it through, keep it clean.

I agree with rinsing it well with dilute betadine! I recommend smothering it with neosporin even if the skin can be pulled back over it (super glue works well to reattach skin). I would keep her inside and away form other birds to prevent pecking as well as fly larva. I am sorry that you have to deal with this! Chickens are pretty resilient and recover well from such injuries (I've had my share of wounds to treat as well including a dog attack!).

First and foremost, do everything possible to make sure you don't lose her from shock. Keep her warm and comfortable and comfort her - don't stop until she perks up and seems stable. She looks shocky. She needs to stay inside in a warm quiet comfortable DOG FREE place till she heals. A drop of Rescue Remedy mixed in her water for stress for the next couple of days. Initially put some of this mix in an eye dropper and administer very gently along her beak line with an eye dropper, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. A bit of electroltyes mixed with water for shock (Pedialyte in a pinch) - administer the same way if she's not drinking on her own. In a little while, once you feel she is not succumbing to shock you can deal with the injuries.

If I had a nickel for every dog attack, I could rule the world. You are going to need Fort Knox to keep your birds safe.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom