Dog attack... It's been Over 2 weeks

Jporres

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
My irresponsible neighbor's dog come into my property and kill 2 of my chickens and severely injured a third one. She had a big wound. I have been cleaning the wound and putting an ointment on it. I also put her on antibiotic for a couple of days. The incident happened on December 16th but my chicken has yet to fully recover. About 4 days after the incident she was walking around. She was not getting far but at least she was staying active. She refuses to join back the flock. At first, I thought she was in shock but now I am very concerned . Today she seems very lethargic. She doesn't want to eat . I have her in a cage with food and water. I covered the cage so the other girls can't bother her.
I am really worry about my buff Orpington .

Any recommendations ?

Yes, it's much smaller . Should I try bathing her?
I put her back on antibiotics

Hi,
I was online looking for was to humanely put a chicken down and came across your problem. I feel so bad for you and I don't know how I would handle the same situation. How do people actually humanely put down one of their chickens?

She passed away this morning.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Hi,
I was online looking for was to humanely put a chicken down and came across your problem.  I feel so bad for you and I don't know how I would handle the same situation.  How do people actually humanely put down one of their chickens?

There are several methods, hatchet and stump, dry ice, broom handle method, exhaust fumes, veterinarian, wringing their neck.

Personally I prefer a sharp hatchet, but, I realize not everyone can do that. Do you have a farmer neighbor? Maybe he will help you.

Back
Top Bottom