DOG ATTACK NECK EXPOSED! HELP! PICTURES!

I've seen many injuries like this, and chickens heal remarkably fast with skin injuries!

First, I would clean the area (if you haven't done this already), and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Make sure it does not contain pain medication, as that is harmful to chickens. After that, I would put in her in a roomy carrier, in a semi dark, quiet room.

Best of luck to you and your bird!!

I have a chicken who had her whole backside, including her tail nub, pulled off by a predator. She healed up and is fine, minus a tail. However, she did not have any vital organ damage or infection. I never gave her antibiotics as I never saw any sign of infection. She is alive and well and laying eggs today. The first picture was taken about a week after the attack, when she didn't die on me (which I was expecting). The second was taken months later after her flesh and feathers filled in. I still don't know what attacked her or why she survived, but she is one of my favorites.

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide as it damages live tissue. I used honey at first, which is a natural antimicrobial, then switched to Vetricyn, which is also an antimicrobial and does not harm living tissue.

I kept her where she could see the rest of the flock, in a dog crate, but she was protected from them attacking her. I gave her extra feed, like hard boiled eggs, to give her what she needed to heal, but nothing very special. She was a strong willed bird and chose to survive. I just helped her.

Last edited:
I have a chicken who had her whole backside, including her tail nub, pulled off by a predator. She healed up and is fine, minus a tail. However, she did not have any internal damage or infection. I never gave her antibiotics as I never saw any sign of infection. She is alive and well and laying eggs today. The first picture was taken about a week after the attack, when she didn't die on me. The second was taken months later after her flesh and feathers filled in. I still don't know what attacked her or why she survived, but she is one of my favorites.

That's amazing. Personally though, I would've applied ointments and kept on eye on her. Your hen is incredible.
smile.png

What everybody else is saying, clean & dry it, apply ointment, keep her in the dark and calm, with a little luck she can survive this and be fine, chickens heal remarkably well. After cleaning etc, I tend to use Blu-Kote on pretty much all chicken injuries. You should be able to find (injectable) Penicillin at the feed store, or most pet stores carry antibiotics for fish in capsules if you can't get it from your vet.
Jedgell, that was some injury, one tough hen you have there.

Yes, she is. Remarkable.

I agree, after going through this, chickens can heal remarkably well as long as there is no infection and they don't die of shock. I love my tail-less hen.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot about honey! Good point jedgell! I've used that many times on injured birds, don't know why I didn't say that.

Honey is amazing. I pulls the extra moisture out of the wound and keeps many kinds of microbes from growing. I love Mother Nature
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I appreciate all of your help. What a wonderful testimony that your hen survived. I have HOPE! FOR SURE. It was kind of weird that the whole time I'm clipping feathers back and cleaning her... Nelda was eating and greedily grabbing at her worm treats from hubby's hand! I could see her neck bone rising out of her back and up as she was moving her neck around... AMAZING that she was not bleeding AT ALL! I have seen several veins just under her skin but I have not seen actual blood... dried or otherwise. Keep that advice coming. I am praying like crazy that Nelda doesn't get an infection and actually makes it through this ordeal! I will purchase that BlueKote tomorrow at feed store for sure! I'll continue to post progress pictures as well. Maybe our journaling these events can help others the way your posts have helped us!

Thank you so much. I appreciate all of your help. What a wonderful testimony that your hen survived. I have HOPE! FOR SURE. It was kind of weird that the whole time I'm clipping feathers back and cleaning her... Nelda was eating and greedily grabbing at her worm treats from hubby's hand! I could see her neck bone rising out of her back and up as she was moving her neck around... AMAZING that she was not bleeding AT ALL! I have seen several veins just under her skin but I have not seen actual blood... dried or otherwise. Keep that advice coming. I am praying like crazy that Nelda doesn't get an infection and actually makes it through this ordeal! I will purchase that BlueKote tomorrow at feed store for sure! I'll continue to post progress pictures as well. Maybe our journaling these events can help others the way your posts have helped us!
Do you have, or have access to raw honey? It works best for keeping away infection.

Best of luck!

Hello everyone. .......

We have cleaned wounds, cut away feathers, and applied neosporine (sp) ointment with pain relief in it. I gave her asprin in water. She ate worms from hubby's hands the entire time I was removing debris and cutting feathers. Acted like she didn't even notice I was doing all this to her???? She is comfortably sleeping now in a plastic tub/storage bin surrounded by food and water and a warm towel (changing it often from dryer to keep her warm)

I've seen many injuries like this, and chickens heal remarkably fast with skin injuries!

First, I would clean the area (if you haven't done this already), and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Make sure it does not contain pain medication, as that is harmful to chickens. After that, I would put in her in a roomy carrier, in a semi dark, quiet room.

Best of luck to you and your bird!!
Note: don't use antibiotic topicals with 'pain relief'.

Let her rest in safe seclusion where it's relatively warm and supply lots of food and water....good luck!

Back
Top Bottom