Dog attack! Please help!!

I wouldn't try to close it up as that can lead to it ulcerating/gangrene and blood poisoning. I would wash it out 2x a day for the first week with some saline solution/ weak salt water and then once a day after that. keep her away from any other chickens until she is all healed or they will pick at and potentially canabalise her. some antibiotic cream in the wound after washing could also be a good idea

Thanks everyone so much. I live in the city a few Hours away and was home for the weekend. Just gonna bring her back with me, haha, she can be a city gal for a few days so I can take care of her.

I looked her over some more and the dog must have let go and grabbed her again a few times as there are wounds all over her. Nothing deeper than I posted a picture of luckily so that's good.

I did a few a of those small strips across that long tear on her back, didn't close it but it did secure it, is that ok? Or could that do damage ? It would just prevent it from stretching I guess.

She did eat 2 eggs so happy about that

So I should flush it out, is that brown betadine stuff just as good as a thing else? And just put neosporin after that? And continue antibiotics ? Anything else I should do?

I ended up bringing her to a vet. Found an even deeper wound under her wing and she just had bite marks everywhere. Neck, tail, tummy. Just too much for me to monitor. Thought she had a broken leg too but vet didn't think so. They are gonna pluck some feathers, clean it up and then close some of them out. Poor baby girl and poor me to have to spend money on someone's careless dog

He really put in a ton of staples today, leaving it a little open to drain. Both sides of her body and she seems very irritable and exhausted now. Plucked a lot of feathers throughout her body too. She eats here and there but my question is... How much should she eat a day to maintain energy and heal? She has had maybe 10 bites of feed/water mixture and a few small pieces of bread in the last 12 hours. She won't touch eggs anymore, any other suggestions? She's always been a picky eater. She also won't drink any water, should I be worried about that? Aghr she's stubborn even when she is healthy so it's so difficult.

Last edited:
Is there a chicken treat list on here? Maybe look for one. I don't think she'd starve herself, totally against an animals instincts. If trauma hits birds like mammals then all her regular functions are probably a bit slow right now.

Back
Top Bottom