1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dog attack. punctured crop. warning graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickoletta5, Dec 8, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    And if you're gonna try to save her, replace her shaving with a towel. That'll help keep debris out of her wound.

-Kathy

2. chickoletta5

chickoletta5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Washington state
    Ok here are some recent pics during plucking and clipping and cleaning wound. They are horrible.[VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO][​IMG]

3. chickoletta5

Jul 10, 2015
    Washington state
    I honestly don't think i can save her. Does anyone think otherwise. I'll try if it's possible and humane.

4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    It looks like more then just her crop was damaged? Is that what your seeing?

5. chickoletta5

Jul 10, 2015
    Washington state
    Honestly I'm having a hard time determining what is what, and how i can fix it. Do i close that big hole you see? Is that a hole in the top of her crop or is that the hole leading to her tummy. Its very confusing.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Finish cleaning it and post new pictures.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    in other words, I'd like to see pictures with no feathers 1/2" from all wound edges and a wound that's free of debris.

-Kathy

8. victoriamb

victoriamb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I think you can save her don't give up! Try rinsing her wounds until they are clean make sure there's no food or shavings in her wounds clip her feathers around 1/2 an in of the wound then I'd try to stitch it post more pics if you can I've seen people stitch them on here before I'm sure you can too

1 person likes this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    All good advice, but feathers should be plucked, not clipped. Pluck in direction that they grow to avoid tissue tearing.

-Kathy

10. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Kathy right you need to pluck the feathers. The reason behind plucking and not clipping is if you have ever cut feathers they fly everywhere which would just cause a bigger mess for you to clean and you might miss them which couldncause issues. Do you have a squirt bottle or syringe (even kids medication syringe will work). Use that to squirt saline water in the wound to flush out the particals. That black ball stuff appears to be berries, try to get all the food out and anything else that might be in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by