dog attack. punctured crop. warning graphic pics

chickoletta5

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2015
Washington state
My neighbor's dog broke into our yard the other day. Chickoletta survived the night but i discovered her crop is punctured maybe even ripped out on one side. She's still alert, eating and drinking, even though it all falls out of her crop. When the husband gets home tonight we are going to trim away her feathers clean up the wound and get a better look at it. From what i can see though I'm not sure she can be patched back together or if i even have the stomach to try. The vet isn't an option and we would rather put her down them let her suffer and slowly die. Here are some pics, best i could get. Thoughts?

Poor chicken that dog did a number on her. I am not sure unless you can stitch it if that fix it or not. It depends on how much is missing and what is missing. I wonder how connected it is to the rest of her digestion tract. I think Kathy would have a good answer let me see if i can get her to take a look.

Wow, that doesn't look good. Can you carefully pluck the feathers back 1/2" from the edges of the wound, clean it with with something like saline or sterile water and chlorhexidine (Novalsan) ? Once clean, post new pictures?

-Kathy

Yes, thank you Kathy. I'll have to wait until my husband gets home to help. I have two young babies and will need an extra pair of hands and eyes.
When plucking, pluck no more than a few at a time, and pluck them in the direction that they're growing.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom