dog attack- thankfully not mine

I should know better by now than to be astounded by the incredible double standard evidenced in the Comments section of stories like this, as to what constitutes a BELOVED FAMILY PET. A couple of selections:

Sickening that some people can’t solve their problems without shooting something. If your precious chickens are in danger, try building a better fence. I doubt the dog even went near them, this contemptible man probably just shot him for pleasure. I feel so bad for the people that loved that sweet dog. Labradors are some of the kindest most gentile dogs alive. It’s a disgrace to murder one to save a ruddy bird.

Even if the dog was going after his STUPID chickens, to kill a beloved pet, that belonged to an 8yr old is heartless, stupid, cruel and ignorant at best.

Fencing the neighbor's dogs out may be the best investment you ever put in the family budget, to avoid the heartache and ill will engendered by irresponsible dog owners.

Quote:
I cannot stand the dog owner's attitude....her dog is a family member but someone's chicken can just be replaced casually. Oh I despise people like that.

Sorry she lost her pup but that is a risk you take when you cannot control them and keep them home.

Quote:
I totally agree with every thing you are saying. I feel for the owners of Hank. And I do believe that dogs are much more of a family member than chickens.....

I feel bad for the family of Hank, and how it all happened too.
hugs.gif
sad.png
I don't know the guy who shot him, but he sounds like a real jerk to me. As for chckens being any less of a pet, I don't agree with that. Pets come in all shapes and sizes, so you really can't go there. Each to his own.

My "stupid" chickens are my 13 year old daughters treasured pets. I'm sorry, but dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens, they can all be pets, and they can all be loved by children and adults, so by acting like the dog was the bigger loss versus a chicken is just wrong. People need to get a grip and take responsibility for their pets.

I just read the story and the writer of the article was favoring the dogs' owners: putting pictures up to garner people's pity, showing how much the dog was "part of the family." I think they made the chicken owner appear hostile and who knows if he really said those things. How about the chickens that would have been the dog's dinner? I'm a dog owner too and no matter how much I love my dogs, if they were up to no good and they were shot, I know it is my responsibility and I'm to blame. It's just sickening that people would consider chickens so lightly, that they wouldn't (or couldn't) be pets or lovable, either.

I agree that pets come in all shapes and sizes, I believe the reason people think chickens are "stupid" or less then dogs is probably because we consume them, but on the other hand many people ( many on this forum) go out of there way protecting their chickens and kill practically anything that comes within 500 yards of their coop. Who knows what the dog was really doing maybe it was just running through the man's property and he deemed that enough of a threat to his prized chickens to shoot the dog.

Back
Top Bottom