dog attack- thankfully not mine

I live on a farm. I have children, I have a dog and I have chickens. My chickens are no less important than my dog. They are all part of our family, are valuable and loved. It is a sad life lesson that these children have had to learn. However, to suggest that their sadness over the loss of their dog, is greater than the sadness of another over what would have resulted in the loss of chickens is crazy. It would have been sad for someone no matter how this story ended.

I grew up with dogs and animals and if my dog or your dog killed a chicken or sheep, I put it down. I raise animals for food and hunt for the table but that does not mean I killed the cat this morning that was looking at jumping is a small pen of chicks, just let the dog run it off cause it did not do anything but be a cat. I killed my friend's dog when he bit my stepson, explained what happened and showed the bite marks but did not apologize. On the other hand, if I catch you abusing a animal, I will remove it, put it down if need be, call the troopers, and file charges.

There is still such a thing as right and wrong!

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that this woman did not try to treat the dog/family member? It seems to me that the writer of the article sugar coated the fact that she most likely didn't want to pay the high cost of treating her dog's wounds. Maybe the dog was too far gone, but from the article it seems like the dog could have been treated. I would pay just about anything for even the slight chance of saving one of my dogs.

BTW I agree the guy was within his rights. The dog owner needs to be held fully accountable for the actions of the innocent dog. Why didn't the article point out that the negligent owner didn't properly secure or train her dog. This woman is 100% to blame and the poor dog paid 100% of the price.

Stories and people like this get me good. I'm sorry but I am an owner on both sides - I have chickens, and I have dogs.

I know I have an escape artist of a dog, I have one a chow/shepherd mix who because while shes a great dog, shes a fierce protector and absolutely hates my neighbors who live beside me - I know its the guns and the trucks, she always has the biggest fits then, and also I think its their drinking. Both my dogs get aggitated when the neighbors throw a party and they are drinking next door. ANYWAY - My escape artist is on a heavy duty chain (When I'm not home and they are outdoors or I'm expecting someone to come out that the dogs aren't familiar with) and in an underground fenced area. (we're putting up a 6 ft fence soon just havent had the funds to fence in a full acre like we want to yet)

Shes gotten loose a few times, but each time she has we're right behind her chasing her. - 3 days ago she got loose for the first in months. I followed that dog barefoot through fresh cut hayfields resulting in my feet being cut to bits and sore even now - just so I knew she wouldn't get into nothing. (shes known to chase cars, poultry, livestock, and hates the hunting dogs down the way - never hurt nothing but still I want to make sure)

I have chickens, and darn right I catch a dog that is chasing my chickens, trying to get into my coops, or god forbid actually killed a chicken here and its dead. simple. I have a 1 chance and 1 shot rule. dogs who aren't seeking to hurt anything get 1 chance for their owners to keep them away. when they come back the 2nd time, or a dog who is actually in the pens/coops/killed a chicken, they are getting 1 solid shot from my rifle and then drug out into the woods for their burial. or if they killed something, and the owners have been warned before - I call the owners and the dog's body waiting for them.

I know if one of mine was shot for being up to no good, me, my family and my 6 yr old would be devestated however I'd hold not one grudge about it if the dogs were bothing anyone or anything. Why? Because I as an owner didn't do MY job, and I'd be mad at myself for failing MY dogs, not at the owner/neighbor who did what was right by their property and animals.

Back
Top Bottom