dog attack- thankfully not mine

Quote:
you said it right there when you said "prized chickens". some of these "prized chickens can costs hundreds of dollars, just look at the buy/sell page here on byc. in maine, if a dog kills your neighbors chicken, they have to pay you $5/bird, how happy would you be if your (insert name of rare breed chicken here) was killed or mamed and you got $5 for your trouble when you bought that bird for way more. the man's flock had been in danger before as he killed a husky that was owned by the owner cousin. I'm not going to go through the coulda, shoulda, woulda- it's too late for that, but I bet the dog owner will stop cooking the next time her dog takes off

Same story, different players. We see this over and over and over again here on BYC. The lines are the same, like a pre-written script. It's sad and infuriating at the same time.

I have kept dogs all my life, inside dogs, well-cared-for dogs, not on a chain away from the family, have erected fences to contain my dogs as any dog owner should do. I love dogs, hate animal cruelty of any sort. BUT, after seeing that chickens can be just as affectionate as dogs, can defend their human family members, can show reasoning, can recognize people, can know their names, can be just as dog-like as any dog, we have decided that when our elderly dog has passed on, no more dogs. Chickens are just as wonderful as pets for us. And they are just as much part of the family as any dog has ever been. I do all I can to keep my birds safe as I always have my dogs. I expect the same of all dog owners and if they can't do so, then they should rethink dog ownership.

I would be devastated is someone shot my dog. But why doesn't she have a fenced in yard? And why doesn't her dog know recall?

It's just hard to judge this situation because non of us really know what happened when the dog found the chickens. If I saw a dog on my property I would first try to either scare it off, and it it looked friendly I'm the kinda person that would put the dog on a leash and try to find it's home. Look for tags ect. I would not want to shoot someone's dog.

My riding instructor has 2 boxers, and one day they got loose. One came home and after looking for the other after for a few hours, she found the other by the side of the road with bullets in him because he went after a nearby farmers flock. The dog was actually saved and fine today. But farmers defend their flock, and I don't think some people take it seriously enough to really keep an eye on their dogs.

I feel for them both.

people with the dog: said right on there she tries to keep the dog tied etc, and he got out and its nature for a dog to kill a chicken. Thats a part of the family.

Guy with chickens: how do you know his chickens are not a part of his family? the dog was on his land.

Now if I was the chicken owners this is what I would have done: I would have got the gun (in case of the dog was mean) went into the chicken coop , IF he was mean shoot him, Other wise she seems nice grab him by the coller, Keep him until in a cage, or something tell owners come and threaten the owner " I gave the dog 1 chance next time I catch him after my chickens, hes gone"

simple. But whats done, is done.

Quote:
I totally agree with every thing you are saying. I feel for the owners of Hank. And I do believe that dogs are much more of a family member than chickens.....

Then keep your family member home.

x2

I will not grab a strange dog by the collar, especially if it is running with other dogs. Not worth getting bitten and having a rabies series of shots done (most around here don't even vaccinate for rabies because they "loosely" own the dogs--meaning, they put a collar on them and call it ownership). A dog can turn on you in a heartbeat if it gets nervous and picks up on your anger from losing your birds. Nope, not worth being stupid about it.

I've grabbed lots of strange dogs lol. Never been bitten but I REALLY follow body language. If you walk up to a dog and it freezes, avoids eye contact but doesn't move you'd be asking to get bit. I've been training dogs for years so I trust my instincts.

A dog killed 3 of my chickens about a month ago.The same dog killed 8 of my neighbor this past week end.Laster my neighbor went the the owner and told him to keep his dog off his property and out of his chicken house that his dog killed his chickens .This was the second time laster told the man abought his dog and if the dog comes back I am going to shoot him. The man said my dog does not know anything about property lines an if you kill my dog we are going to have a problem. I can buy your chickens for less than 10 dollars each. He called animal controll when he told me abouth calling ,I called animal controll an told them the dog killed my chickens too.

It is amazing that the person that lost her dog has no feelings at all for the guy that had chickens. Perhaps they were HIS PETS. That dog could have killed his chickens. He had a right to protect them. The person with a dog saying she would have paid the fellow for lost chickens "if" there was loss is faulty. It shows her disregard for someone else's animals. I also have problems believing she would have paid him a cent.

I have had my animals attacked by other people’s dogs. It is heartbreaking. One of my llamas I had at the time almost had its throat ripped out by a neighbor’s dog. However, my neighbor was responsible. He drove over and saw what his dog did. Then he took care of the issue. He shot his own dog.

Back
Top Bottom